Freezing Cookie Dough

Baking By sjbeatty8 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 1:28am by MimiFix

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone frozen NFSC dough??? Did you cut out the shapes before freezing?

I have to make cookies for my sons 1st birthday and im hoping to get the dough made ahead of time and I was hoping I could roll it out and cut the shapes then freeze the shapes and bake when needed (kinda like the stuff you buy from GFS).

If you have done this, do you thaw first for bake from frozen and how long do you bake???

14 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:21am
post #2 of 15

That particular dough is very sturdy. I have kept the rolled out dough for a week in the refrigerator when I was learning to decorate. BUT... you can bake these cookies and freeze them. Thaw closer to the party and decorate. There was no difference in the quality and I am anal about that.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 15

I freeze the dough , and I've frozen the cookies. It works both ways.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 15

I freeze the dough and thaw it when i need it. I always have NFSC on hand

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 15

I forgot to mention that I layer the baked cookies in waxed paper and let them thaw completely before I open the container.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 15

I have never frozen these cookies, but I have frozen several different kinds of cookies around Christmas time. I usually bake first and then freeze, but I have done it both ways. I store them in freezer bags with wax paper betweent the layers, and then I get a few of those short boxes that go under canned goods and put the storage bags in the freezer in these (Just alternate the direction you put the box in and you can stack them).

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 15

Dose anyone know, If making the dough fresh. How far in advance could the cookies be baked, wrapped, and ready to go. I have to make them or a church this weeekend. Need them for Sat. if I made them on Wed and finished them on Thurs, Is that to soon?? thank you

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 15

For that recipe, I baked a ton to practice. Then my family started raiding them, taking a small package out of the frezer. I gave up decorating that batch and they ate them for a month. I do studies on the effect of freezing on my baked goods. This one truly keeps well.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 15

mommynana...................
I always do that far or even Tuesday keep them in a cool place is all. When I do royal icing they take a day or so try dry completly anyway, well by me it does I'm close to the lake. Just make sure they are in an air tight container.

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 15

I often pre-cut and then freeze the dough. I layer it between wax paper and put them in a large tupperware. I bake them from frozen, without thawing. Maybe add 1 minute to the chilled but not frozen cooking time.

mommynana Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 15

debster. thank you so much good to know

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCreativeCookie

I often pre-cut and then freeze the dough. I layer it between wax paper and put them in a large tupperware. I bake them from frozen, without thawing. Maybe add 1 minute to the chilled but not frozen cooking time.

I do the same thing.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:03am
post #13 of 15

I always make dough ahead and freeze with no problem. If I've rolled and cut out the cookies, I'll bake frozen with an additional minute or two.

mommynana Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:15am
post #14 of 15

Thats good to know guys, But i don`t think i have enough cookie sheets to freeze 100 cookies. lol

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:28am
post #15 of 15

Once the cookies are rolled out and frozen, they can be stacked and placed in tubs. No need to have cookie sheets taking time off from their real job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%