Woody, From Toy Story For 17 Yr Old Boy?

Decorating By asaye Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 10:31am by pixiefuncakes

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:17am
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a birthday cake featuring Woody, from Toy Story, for a boy turning 17. The mom is supplying a Woody figure to put on the cake. My question to you all is, how do I make an age appropriate cake for this kid using just the Woody figure? He's not really into all the other characters, he just really likes Woody. I haven't seen any of the movies, so I don't know anything about Woody. I've seen all of the Toy Story cakes on CC, and they are great, but they are for little kids. It will be a small cake, two 9" round layers. They want buttercream icing, but I can do fondant/gum paste to decorate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:24am
post #2 of 8

That's a tricky one isn't it?

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:52am
post #3 of 8

I'd probably just go with the little kid look, it's not like you're going to be able to make Woody seem more sophisticated, even if you made a masculine, adult-looking cake...that Woody topper's going to undo it all. It's probably an inside joke...or the kid might be developmentally delayed, either way going with whimsical and kid-like is probably a good choice.
When I turned 18 my mom ordered me a Barney and Baby-bop cake...it was one of those inside joke things (ok..I'll admit it, my mom caught me watching Barney one day icon_redface.gif ...and I was around 17 icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif , icon_lol.gif she used that once instance to tease me for quite a few years!)
I'd talk with the customer and see what they are really wanting before making any plans for sure thumbs_up.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:32am
post #4 of 8

well since woody is a cowboy, how about doing the cake cowboy themed? or you could do the entire cake the print of woody's shirt like the middle tier of this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1932594

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 8

I'd pick out some of the colors and patterns, maybe a cow print to match his vest or denim blue so still appropriate for a 17yr old but fits the theme.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

What about going at it from the theme of the last toy story.. the kid is growing up and was boxing up his toys to give away... maybe put stuff from his high school or sports interests with a box labeled toys/memories.. something.. and Woody can be sticking out of it.. showing the progression from a kid to a young man??

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:39am
post #7 of 8

These are good ideas. Thanks!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:31am
post #8 of 8

I saw the first Toy Story movie before I had kids at 28 and I loved it. I now have kids and we have watched the movies over and over and I still love it. If this boy is 17, he would have been like 5 when the first movie came out.
I think the cowboy themed cakes sound great, lots of scope there. You could even do a cowboy hat or a woody styled bandana.
Just have fun with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%