Cottage Food Laws In Virginia

Business By KellyJo3 Updated 29 Dec 2015 , 4:32am by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 6:48pm
post #31 of 33

Quote by @AJT2012 on 31 minutes ago

Hi ShrandaB.  I'm not sure if you're even on here anymore, but I'm curious about your situation.  Did you ever complete the process of opening your home-based business?  I am also not able to get my kitchen certified.  Not because of the pet, but because of the open floor plan.  Here's what the application states right on the front:  The food processing area, including any areas where ingredients and finished productsare stored, must be completely enclosed/separated from the rest of the home in order to be approved for home based food production. For example, food processing and storage areas must be fitted with a hinged door(s) that can be latched/closed shut. Placing pets in closed rooms in other areas of the home will NOT satisfy this requirement. The presence of caged pets (such as hamsters, guinea pigs, reptiles, fish, and birds) will not require the kitchen to be enclosed/separated from the rest of the home.  There is always the option of going non-certified and depending on word of mouth as your advertisement and promotion.  It's not what I want to do either, but I don't have the ability to open a brick and mortar bakery at the time...

I have an open kitchen and they didn't have a problem with it. Is this the Virginia application you're talking about?

MMARI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMARI Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 2:46am
post #32 of 33

i too am interested in a home based business.  I knew there was some sort of rules regarding pets in the house.  How do I get an application or who do I contact ?  I have considered using a separate room for decorating but can i use the oven, sink and dishwasher in the main kitchen if there is no hinged door to get into the kitchen ?  I'm confused. Any info would be appreciated. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 4:32am
post #33 of 33

If you're in Virginia call the Department of Agriculture. They're the ones who handle home-based businesses in VA, both licensed bakers and uninspected cottage bakers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%