Help! Beer Bottle Mold (Amazing Mold Putty)

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm by maitej17

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:25am
post #1 of 32

I tried my first beer bottle tonight and everything went well except for when I removed it from the mold. The mold started to rip from the beginning . The beer bottle came out great but I can't be wasting money on a mold every time I make a bottle. Any advice from those out there that have used the Amazing Mold Putty to make your molds? My cake is due this weekend and I could really use the assistance of all you wonderful beer bottle makers out there.

Thanks so much!
Maite icon_cry.gif

31 replies
CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45am
post #2 of 32

I haven't done my bottle mold yet, but it sounds like the mold was too thin. Since you're using something other than material from MYOM, you should apply as many coats of the mold putty as possible to create a thicker mold. Also, apply a little baby powder on the outside of the mold when releasing your bottle.

HTH

maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 32

Thanks for the response,
I thought about that, but it really didn't feel to thin to me.

Anyone out there that has used Amazing Mold Putty for their bottle had any issues with ripping? what have you done?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitej17

Thanks for the response,
I thought about that, but it really didn't feel to thin to me.

Anyone out there that has used Amazing Mold Putty for their bottle had any issues with ripping? what have you done?

Honestly I wouldn't use the Amazing Mold Putty for a beer bottle. I would use a product by Castin' Craft called Mold Builder. It's a lot more flexible than the putty for that type of thing, especially when you get to the neck part. The amazing mold putty is good for things that you are using gumpaste or fondant. There are a couple of things about the Mold Builder to be aware of is that it smells and when you are molding an item it's not something that can be used right away after molding it. It takes time to build up enough coats to make it thick enough.

Here is a you tube video that shows you how to use it:

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 32
CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 32

And don't forget it's food safe.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 32

I used the amazing mold putty for a beer bottle mold just 2 weeks ago. Mine did the same thing, started ripping, so I slit it down one side neaty. Then the next time I went to use it, I had to wrap it carefully with tape and a few elastics. Not the most professional thing to do, I know, but it worked. A pain, but it worked.

maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 32

Oh, I know I was really considering buying MYOM (I'm sure it's the best quality out there and I've hear his customer service if unbeatable) but I can't afford $79 for a mold. So I know there's people that have used this mold putty before, so I was hoping to get some assistance w/it.
Thanks though! icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:

Oh, I know I was really considering buying MYOM (I'm sure it's the best quality out there and I've hear his customer service if unbeatable) but I can't afford $79 for a mold. So I know there's people that have used this mold putty before, so I was hoping to get some assistance w/it.
Thanks though! icon_smile.gif

The mold builder that I was talking about can be purchased at Michaels and if you use a coupon it's not that expensive.

maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 32

Gooner Girl,

What a great idea for a fix. I'm sure it wasn't tons of fun, but if it works, I may have to resort to that, and maybe if I see more people asking for these types of cakes (once I do my first this weekend), MYOM may be something worth investing in, but for now, I'm hoping to use this option.

Do you think if I go ahead and slit it from the beginning and do the whole take, rubber band thing I could make it an easier way to pull out the bottle?

maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 32

CakeandParty Girl,

It's not the liquid latex that kayla shows on her videos? Because I didn't think that was food safe and was worried about latex allergies.

The Micheal's I went to only had the amazing putty.

What is the mold material you use?

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:

Gooner Girl,

What a great idea for a fix. I'm sure it wasn't tons of fun, but if it works, I may have to resort to that, and maybe if I see more people asking for these types of cakes (once I do my first this weekend), MYOM may be something worth investing in, but for now, I'm hoping to use this option.

Do you think if I go ahead and slit it from the beginning and do the whole take, rubber band thing I could make it an easier way to pull out the bottle?

It's the only way mine would come out at all. I made 4 bottles this way and they turned out pretty good, I thought.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 32

I use the Amazing putty mold from Michael's for smaller projects and like it alot, I buy with a coupon so it's cost effective for me.
For larger projects (bottles etc) try composimold, it's easy to use (melt and pour), it can be reused over and over, (it can be remelted up to 35 times). HTH

CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

I use the Amazing putty mold from Michael's for smaller projects and like it alot, I buy with a coupon so it's cost effective for me.
For larger projects (bottles etc) try composimold, it's easy to use (melt and pour), it can be reused over and over, (it can be remelted up to 35 times). HTH

I've never hear of "composimold" is it food safe?

maitej17 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:

I just looked at their site and their "green" and food safe (so double the benefit, good for the environment and ok to use on food products).

Where do you purchase this? I need to come up for a solution for this weekend, so I'm hoping I can find it locally.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:

CakeandParty Girl,

It's not the liquid latex that kayla shows on her videos? Because I didn't think that was food safe and was worried about latex allergies.

The Micheal's I went to only had the amazing putty.

What is the mold material you use?

I use the liquid latex. I am not sure if it's in the same aisle as the putty. It's in a white plastic jar. But if you are concerned about food safety use the mold putty but slit it like someone else suggested.

CakeCrystals Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 32

I too just visited the site and love that it's safe for food contact. Not to mention that it's priced just right for my budget. I think i'll give it try.

PTBUGZY1 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #18 of 32

food safe yes, and green. I haven't seen it in any stores only on their website.
www.composimold.com

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #19 of 32
Quote:

food safe yes, and green. I haven't seen it in any stores only on their website.
www.composimold.com

I looked at the mold and its not make for hard candy or isomalt. The temp that the sugar needs to be at is beyond it's melting point so I don't see how it would be good to make sugar molds .
Here is the page that I found the info from
http://compositherm.com/focomomama.html
Scroll down on the page.

maitej17 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

www.composimold.com

I looked at the mold and its not make for hard candy or . The temp that the sugar needs to be at is beyond it's melting point so I don't see how it would be good to make sugar molds .
Here is the page that I found the info from
http://compositherm.com/focomomama.html
Scroll down on the page.

Hmmmm...just read that, but PTBUGZY1, did you say that you have used this make your bottle before?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:34am
post #21 of 32

I wonder did she use chocolate

PTBUGZY1 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:21am
post #22 of 32

You are correct it is not meant for sugar molds, sorry I haven't tried sugar work. Chocolate was used and as long as you get 3 or 4 really good chocolate coatings it should be fine.

CakeCrystals Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:24pm
post #23 of 32

Not for sugar molds. Bummer icon_sad.gif . I'll stick with Dominic and MYOM. thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:03pm
post #24 of 32

That kinda stinks. back to square one for you maitej17. I wish that you could get a less expensive alternative but maybe if you slit it, it would work. Post back and let us know what your results were.

maitej17 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #25 of 32

That does stink! I was so excited about that stuff. You're right, back to square one for me. I am def. going to attempt to slit it before I even pour it and do the whole tape and rubber band thing as suggested and hope that it works.
Thanks ladies for all your thoughts and advice, I will let you know how it all turns out!

EpicureanMaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EpicureanMaiden Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #26 of 32

I'm going to be trying this for an upcoming cake. I too don't have the money to try the MYOM right now, so I'll be giving the mold putty a try. I'll post my results. :0)
Thank you everyone!

maitej17 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #27 of 32

OK everyone!
So I was able to re-make a new mold and as suggested I went ahead and made a straight slit down the side w/an exacto knife. I was actually surprise because I didn't need the tape, just the rubber band to hold it together and to my wonderful surprise I found a coffee thermos in my pantry that allowed the mold to fit snug to secure the rubber bands and it protected my hands from the heat since it was a thermos. What a FIND! Well, the mold worked perfectly and I pulled them out so easily since it had the slit. I was able to do all 3 bottles for my cake (you can see my pics to see the final cake) and I think the mold will last me a few more times.
Here are pics of the process for anyone who's interested.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 32

I saw it and you did a really nice job on the bottles and cake!! I am glad that it worked out.

maitej17 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:35pm
post #29 of 32

Thanks so much Cake and party girl! I tried attaching some pics, then a doc w/the pics and nothing would attach. I think I'll just upload the doc in the gallery in case anyone wants to reference back to one method of using the amazing mold putty for this purpose.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:00pm
post #30 of 32

I used the "Amazing Mold Putty" for my beer bottles. It worked fine. Like the previous poster, I carefully put a slit down one side of the mold. After the sugar cools I carefully work the hardened bottle out of the mold. To reuse, I realign the slit and hold the mold together with rubber bands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%