Applying Disco Dust (Two Techniques??)

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 10:02am by katielb

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone! I'm going to use Disco Dust for my first time to make a mardi gras mask for an upcoming cake.

I've seen cakes that use disco dust and some look different than others. Obviously, there's cakes that you can tell have "glitter" on them, and then there's other cakes that look almost like the disco dust was more of a paint than a sparkle when it was applied (is that making any sense?). It's like where it was applied is a nice even coat of shimmery color.

Is anyone aware of this technique and how it's done? Or maybe it was done using a different product?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

13 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 14

I've only ever dusted disco dust straight on top of a cake , but I saw in a book recently , (cant rember which one) , that you can melt a little pure cocoa butter , add the dust to it and paint directly on icing

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 14

I brush fondant with vodka and then sprinkle on disco dust. It dries quick. This might be the technique you are looking for. thumbs_up.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 14

Thanks guys! joycesdaughter111, when you do it that way, does it look like sparkly glitter? Or does it look like a sparky paint was painted on? I'm trying to avoid the sparkly glitter look and want more of a shimmery painted look icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 14

My Alice in wonderland cake had a teapot on it that was covered in disco dust. I painted the teapot with water then applied the disco dust with a dry brush. It worked great and the teapot was completely covered.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:35am
post #6 of 14

Thanks jo3d33! I love the cake!

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:45am
post #7 of 14

Thanks! I thought I wasn't going to make it through that cake! icon_smile.gif

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:37am
post #8 of 14

The technique I'm talking about looks just like the teapot in the alice in wonderland cake, so maybe this is NOT the look you are talking about.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:55am
post #9 of 14

Are you sure you don't want lustre dust? That gives a shimmery effect more so than sparkly disco dust. And you apply by mixing with alcohol and painting on.

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:44am
post #10 of 14

Yeah, I was gonna say lustre dust.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:18am
post #11 of 14

What is the ratio of dust to liquid? I have only even 'painted' the dust on dry which looks nice. Does the fondant look shiny after you wet it?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

What is the ratio of dust to liquid? I have only even 'painted' the dust on dry which looks nice. Does the fondant look shiny after you wet it?

You're not really wetting it because it dries so quickly...and I don't really think it looks any shinier...I just don't think you use as much because you're thinning it with alcohol and it spreads easier. It does adhere to the fondant better and you can add several coats after it dries so it does build up and look more shiny. I generally make a thin, not quite watery, paste...and if you add too much alcohol no worries...just wait a bit and it evaporates. Just experiment. You'll find what works for you.

Cookie050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie050 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #13 of 14

could someone tell me what is the difference between petal dust, disco dust and lustre dust. I would like to make some mardigras mask for a cake and need to know which one i should use.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:02am
post #14 of 14

Cookie, check out these links icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%