Boxes For A 2 Tier Cake?

Decorating By StephanieLynn Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 3:10am by bates123

StephanieLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephanieLynn Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any suggestions where to by a box for the smaller 2 tier cakes (14 in tall) ? I don't want to send this with the customer not packaged.

Do you make your own?
Do you use shipping boxes?

9 replies
BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

I get taller packing boxes from Staples and use them - they are tall enough for a 2 tier cake and come in smaller sizes (12", 14", etc)- they work perfectly and are not that expensive

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn

Does anyone have any suggestions where to by a box for the smaller 2 tier cakes (14 in tall) ? I don't want to send this with the customer not packaged.

Do you make your own?
Do you use shipping boxes?

I use the Wedding Cake Boxes... Here the link I hope it works this time.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21187&name=Square%20Wedding%20Cake%20Box%2017.5%20inches%20by%20Bakery%20Crafts
They have inserts for round and square boards...they come in medium & large. I also have a local place that carries these

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 10

These are available in 11.5 & 15.5 heights plus extender tabs can be added:
http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/del%20sys/Default.aspx

BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 10

Here is a link that shows how I use the packing boxes from Staples/Office Depot...I think they only cost like $2-$2.50 so pretty cheap depending on what size you need.

http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/making-a-custom-designed-box-for-cake-transport-fid-1022485

This link isn't me or my cake it's just to show how I cut the box down the side and make a flap and then slide the cake in and then I fold the flap back up and use a few pieces of packing tape to secure the sides back. It looks like she's using string to tie it back up but I don't have time to fuss with all of that so the tape works like a charm!! If the cake is short enough you can just close the top flaps and again secure with a piece of tape but normally I just leave it open at the top b/c I like looking at the cake to make sure it's still in one piece or so if someone else is picking it up they can visually SEE that there is a cake in the box and not just pick it up and throw it around in the car....believe me, seems like that would be common sense and wouldn't happen but I know A LOT of people that need the visual to be reminded that they have a CAKE in the box not just a bunch of socks on moving day icon_smile.gif

I like getting the same size box as my cake board. My most common is either 12 inch or 14 inch and that way it fits snugly in the box and doesn't move at all. So 12" cake drum gets a 12"X12" packing box and it is a snug fit but doesn't budge at all!

Hope that helps!

StephanieLynn Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 10

I was hoping to find something cheaper, something I could send with the customer when the orders are picked up. I don't want to have to worry with getting it back.

BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 10

Here you go Stephanie - here is a link to Staples to show you - very inexpensive. These are sold online in a bundle of 5 for $8.79 so that comes to about $1.75 a box. And I know you can get them in a 12" size as well in the Store and you can buy them individually.

http://www.staples.com/14%28L%29-x-14%28W%29-x-14%28H%29-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes-5-Pack/product_815599?cmArea=SEARCH

If the cakeboard is a bit smaller then the size box you have just put a piece of the shelf liner under it and you should be good to go! So much sturdier then just a regular old cake box with the top flap cut off icon_smile.gif

StephanieLynn Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much! It was a great help!!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCo

Here you go Stephanie - here is a link to Staples to show you - very inexpensive. These are sold online in a bundle of 5 for $8.79 so that comes to about $1.75 a box. And I know you can get them in a 12" size as well in the Store and you can buy them individually.

http://www.staples.com/14%28L%29-x-14%28W%29-x-14%28H%29-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes-5-Pack/product_815599?cmArea=SEARCH

If the cakeboard is a bit smaller then the size box you have just put a piece of the shelf liner under it and you should be good to go! So much sturdier then just a regular old cake box with the top flap cut off icon_smile.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:00am
post #9 of 10

That's cheaper than what I'm getting! Gonna check it out! Thanks!

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #10 of 10

I buy my boxes from Walmart. They are in the packaging department with shipping tape and stuff. The 14" x 14" size and the 16" x 16" work well for most of my two tier cakes and only cost 85 cents to one dollar each. Works great for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%