Tried A Little Mmf Experiment Last Night

Decorating By debbief Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm by debbief

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 5

I made a batch of mmf and used candy melts (for the first time) to get a dark colored fondant without using a ton of coloring.

Anyway I made the batch a couple nights ago. The recipe called for a whole bag of candy melts to a regular recipe mmf. Sounded odd but I went for it. After finishing the recipe, it seemed a little stiff and not very flexible like Im used to. Decided to let it set overnight and then check it. I took it out last night to see how it was after setting. It was not good. I rolled it out and it tore very easily and wasn't elastic at all. I just knew it needed more marshmallows.

Soooo I cut it up into pieces, tossed it into a well greased bowl with another whole bag of marshmallows, couple TBS of water and nuked it. I then kneaded in a little more ps just like it was a fresh batch of mmf. It worked like a charm. I rolled some out just to see how it felt and it seemed to be fine. I'll be using it tonight to cover a cake so hopefully I saved it.

4 replies
JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 5

Great idea on the candy melts! I'll have to give it a shot icon_smile.gif

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 5

Let us know how it turns out.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 5

debbief, a whole bag of candymelts? Do you think the recipe was off?

Only half a cup is used here (for 10 oz, not for 16 oz), but still a lot less:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

debbief, a whole bag of candymelts? Do you think the recipe was off?

Only half a cup is used here (for 10 oz, not for 16 oz), but still a lot less:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Yes I think maybe the recipe was off but I decided to give it a try since I've never done this before. I can't remember the thread but I got it here somewhere. Here it is:

Here are my instructions:
1. bag Wilton's candy melt (whatever color you choose)
2 tbsp of flavor of your choice (I use 1 butter and 1 vanilla)
2 tbsp water
16 oz of the best brand of mini marshmallows (it really makes a difference!)
2 lb of confectioner sugar
1/2 cup of shortening

This looks just like the recipe I use for regular mmf...just with added candy melts.

Oh well I just have lots and lots of black fondant now. Although couldnt' find black candy melts...So I ended up using dark chocolate and adding a little black coloring, but not nearly as much as I would have had to.

The funny thing is I saved the recipe you referred to, I just didnt end up using it. I save A LOT of recipes. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%