Omg What Is Going On?????

Decorating By KakeMistress Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 5:57pm by KJ62798

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

I have a small 6 inch cake due today for a wedding along with cupcakes, I did my small cake a few days ago to get it out of the way and had it sitting in the fridge, well I took it out to let it come to room temprature and I noticed an air bubble on the side of my buttercream cake......... There are some sugar pearls pushed into the buttercream for decoration, could they have caused the bubble to appear? It was only in one area and I was able to push the bubble back in without a disaster, anyone know whats going on and how I can prevent it from happening at the wedding? TIA

9 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 10

Hmm that's weird I do not have much experience with buttercream cakes mostly fondant but I would poke a tiny pin in it to release the air so it doesn't form again. I don't think the pin mark would show???? Maybe after the air is gone you could cover the mark with a pearl if it wouldn't look weird. HTH

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 10

I've had that also, someone on here called them "cake farts". All you can do is poke a hole and let it out.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 10

I've had that also, someone on here called them "cake farts". All you can do is poke a hole and let it out.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 10

it's only happened to me once. I think it often happens if you try to ice the cake while it is cold/frozen.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by springlakecake

it's only happened to me once. I think it often happens if you try to ice the cake while it is cold/frozen.

I only put the cake in the fridge long enough to set the crumb coat, and I have been storing it in the fridge, I thought alot of people did that. thanks about the suggestions with the pin pricks, I will try that and hopefully it will stop it from happening.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

Yep, That is what it is. Just poke a hole in the butter creme with a pin and smooth out.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:

Interesting. I was taught that if you're going to refrigerate a cake once it's finished, the unfrosted cake needs to be cold (not frozen, but cold) before you frost it. The same is true (or so I was taught) if you're going to finish a cake with ganache and then refrigerate it. The cake needs to be cold before you cover with ganache or else the ganache will lose its shine. If you're going to finish your cake with fondant, you want to start with a cold cake so that...if you have to remove the fondant due to a mistake, the buttercream or ganache "undercoat" will stay on the cake. If it isn't cold, it will come right off. So....I always cover my cakes cold, whether covering with buttercream, ganache, or fondant.

So many different ideas on the right way to decorate a cake. icon_confused.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 10

Since my blowout I ice my cakes chilled not ice cold. Have not had a oroblem since.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 10

The bubble may not have been due to the cold. Sometimes when you put the BC on you trap some air between the cake and the frosting.

I had that happen a couple of times yesterday--places where the side icer tip overlapped trapped some air under the BC. Just pole a hole and smooth it out.

I keep cakes in the fridge all the time and sometimes get bubbles, sometimes don't. I think it has more to do with how the BC went on in the first place than the temp of the cake.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%