Mmf In The Fridge

Decorating By hbasea Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm by abra526

hbasea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbasea Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

I've heard people say they put their MMF cakes in the fridge overnight with no problem, and others that say NOOOO!

I have always made mine the night before, put them in cake boxes and left them out on the dining table with no problem, but this time I think I want to use a filling that requires refrigeration. The party is a 2pm on Saturday, I would usually decorate my cake Friday night. If I did this and stuck it in the fridge, would I be risking destruction of my MMF?

If I can leave it in the fridge safely, what happens when it comes out and what is the best way to bring it up to room temp without too much sweating?

8 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 9

I've put mine in the fridge many times. I just take it out the morning it's due to be picked up and by the time they get it to the party it's room temp and ready to cut. I've never had anyone say they had any problems after they've picked it up.

BUT, I live in a dry climate. I've seen many people on here say they've had problems with condensation issues in the more humid climates.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 9

I put my MMF cakes in the fridge all the time, but I always always make sure I take it out hours before it's needed so that it has time for the condensation to dry, and No touching while it's drying! All of mine have turned out fine, and I live in KS, which can get pretty humid in the summer. Good luck!

hbasea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbasea Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 9

I'm in California and a block from the beach, it is not dry by any means, we have the marine layer and gloom all the time right now.

So when you take it out and let it sit without touching it, the condensation just dries up? I was thinking about using some luster dust too, would it be better to wait until the last minute when it is dry rather than put it on before the fridge?

abra526 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 9

It doesn't for big drops of condensation (at least not in my experience), it just gets sticky and tacky to the touch. If you think you'll have plenty of time, I'd put the luster dust on after it's out and dry.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

I always, always put my MMF covered cakes in the fridge but I live in a very, very hot & dry climate. I've never even had a bit of condensation. In fact, our room temperature in the summer hovers around 80-83 degrees. NOT refrigerating would be a huge problem.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 9

Abra526, do you keep your fondant cakes in boxes when you put them in the fridge? Thanks.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 9

Guys, when you refrigerate your cakes do you put them in boxes or not?

abra526 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 9

For me, it depends on the size/shape of the cake. If it's small enought to fit in a box, I do. Otherwise, I try to loosely cover it with wax paper just to protect it inside the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%