Is Buttercream Back?

Decorating By rocky5777 Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm by KJ62798

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:09am
post #1 of 21

I have been decorating cakes for quite a few years now. And recently I have noticed a comeback in buttercream cakes. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed customers ordering buttercream cakes instead of fondant? I have a few wedding cakes coming up this season and all of them do not want fondant cakes. What are your thoughts?

20 replies
bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:14am
post #2 of 21

I hope so.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:15am
post #3 of 21

I hope so.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:43am
post #4 of 21

Agree, I actually can't actually seem to sell a fondant wedding cake. All my brides want buttercream. Of course, I make the best SMBC in the universe (icon_biggrin.gif) so who could blame them! icon_razz.gif

Seriously though, my last 6 consultations I've had brides hand me pictures of fondant cakes and ask if they can be made in buttercream, and instead of fondant accents or detail they want piping.

Jen

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:50am
post #5 of 21

Did it ever go away? icon_confused.gif Almost all of my cakes are - and have been - buttercream.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 21

there is nothing appetizing about fondant, but when you see buttercream, it makes you want to eat cake

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 21

It's most likely a regional thing!

I would love to see the art of buttercream back. Bring on the piping skills! And serve me some all buttercream wedding cake. Yum!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 21

I don't get a lot of requests for intricate piping, but my customers definitely want buttercream on their cakes. They want a smooth, crisp "covering" on their cake, and if they can get that with buttercream (which most people enjoy eating), why pay more for fondant (which many people peel off)?

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 21

I hope it is too! I wish there was a Challege on the Food Network of just buttercream creations...make a smaller percentage of the cake's element in fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate - whatever, just primarily BUTTERCREAM! In my honest, personal opinion - I think it takes great skill to make a buttercream cake APPEAR to be fondant with regards to it's smooth texture.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 21

What's funny about the TV competition shows is, although the finished cakes are usually covered with fondant, when the contestants serve the judges a piece of cake for the taste part of the competition, it never has fondant...just cake, filling, and buttercream/frosting!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

I hope it is too! I wish there was a Challege on the Food Network of just buttercream creations...make a smaller percentage of the cake's element in fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate - whatever, just primarily BUTTERCREAM! In my honest, personal opinion - I think it takes great skill to make a buttercream cake APPEAR to be fondant with regards to it's smooth texture.

Actually, Bronwen Webber won with a massive 6 foot ALL BUTTERCREAM cake on one of the Challenges, it was really pretty. She kept saying thru the episode she wanted to bring buttercream back, and the judges were all whatevs. But in the end her cake was the winner. Showed old school technique!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 21

Buttercream never left with me, in 21 years 99% of all my cakes are buttercream. I do how ever do a lot of fondant accents. Fondant looks pretty but the taste and texture pale in comparison to buttercream iced cakes regardless of what brand, homemade, flavored or whatnot. The cost of fondant cakes are double that of buttercream cakes.

I think after the economy meltdown a couple years back people got more realistic about cakes and wanted the to taste good and look good, not just an overpriced centerpiece that you had to peel a layer of fondant off of.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

It's most likely a regional thing!

I would love to see the art of buttercream back. Bring on the piping skills! And serve me some all buttercream wedding cake. Yum!

Ditto!
I agree with all who claim that it really never went away - not in my region anyway.

Chasey; love your signature quote thumbs_up.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 21

I know in my area, fondant never really hit it big. Noone likes it and they all order BC icing...I do a lot of fondant accents though and everyone seems to like that look. I'd rather make a perfectly smooth BC cake anyday of the week over fondant covering!

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:57am
post #15 of 21

All I make is buttercream. No one likes fondant etc. But I do make gumpaste flowers for decorating. Go Buttercream!!!

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:08am
post #16 of 21

Personally, I think if more people would cover their cakes with Marshmallow fondant, which tastes really good, more people would want it. Just my opinion!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 21

I agree with the MMF tasting better...it's the texture of any fondant that seems to throw us off around here. If it's too thick, it's chewy and doesn't feel like icing you are supposed to swallow. icon_lol.gif

And speaking of texture, I am completely confused as to why cake spackle seems like a good idea, mouth feel wise!! icon_confused.gif

I totally get the purpose of it (like the purpose of the well dressed fondant cake!) but for me, it falls into the category of hmmm, not too fond of this texture on my cake or in my cake. icon_redface.gif It doesn't look like it tastes like icing....more like wet cake. I guess I should try it before I say that. icon_wink.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #18 of 21

I guess spackling tastes a lot like the cake balls; if you like that kind of thing. IMHO i'm not going to try to 'convince' my clients one way or another; I just explain the difference if they don't know and if they request fondant or butter cream or whatever...that's what they get!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 21

I am quickly approaching one year of experience (which has been so much fun), and all of mine are smoothed buttercream. I would like to try a fondant cake one day, but no one has even spoke about it - so why waste my time and money....? I like my BC cakes, and so do the clients.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:43pm
post #20 of 21

I honestly don't believe it is all about the taste issue with fondant, some fondants are really good. I think it is the chewy texture that throws people off. Cake is soft and butter creams and other icings melt in your mouth, having that chewy taffy to hang around long after the cake and icing have gone down can be a turnoff, it is at least for me.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #21 of 21

I sent a fondant-covered cake to work with my hubby for the gang at his office. He had several people ask him what the "plastic" stuff on the outside was. (It was Satin Ice) I really do think it is the texture that bothers people.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%