Simply Syrup Question

Lounge By lyndim Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 6:40am by scp1127

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering if its possible to add flavoring to simple syrup, if so would I use extracts or candy flavoring? TIA!

10 replies
KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 11

I use vanilla in simple syrup all the time. Just use any flavor extract that compliments your cake flavor.

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 11

I do the same! I have also used zest and fresh squeezed juices!

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 11

I've made simple syrup using sugar and strong coffee (instead of water) to make a coffee IMBC. A word of caution, though, it does foam up while cooking so you have to keep a close eye on it.

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 11

I use simple syrup all the time, I use Brandy cherry flavor

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all of your help! It helps a lot! thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:01am
post #7 of 11

I have never used unflavored simple syrup. One recipe cooks with coconut that is later drained. And all liqueurs are essentially simple syrup.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 11

I have never used the simple syrup on a cake. Is this to add moisture to the cake, reduce crumbs for ease in icing, adding flavor or what? How much do you put on the cake? Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack, just curious.

scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 11

In my recipes, it adds another dimension of flavor. Most of my cakes are very moist, but the ones with syrup, in my case, mostly liqueurs, the cakes are a little less moist. The cakes taste better after about twelve hours when the cake, filling, syrup, and icing blend together.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #10 of 11

Does the added moisture make the cake go bad quicker? Approximately how much are you adding?

scp1127 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:40am
post #11 of 11

I found it preserves the cake. My cakes are scratch, and it is my very minority opinion that they are only good for the day you make them and one to two days later. I can tell that after that they are not as perfect. On the cakes that I use simple syrup, I can make them for my family and they will last six to seven days. They are the only cakes we can finish. The others, I throw out. The two recent cakes involved one that had 1/2 c Bailey's brushed on the three layers and the other was a simple syrup steeped with coconut. I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%