Frosting Sheets For Cricut Cake

Decorating By mdaily Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 11:39am by icingimages

mdaily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdaily Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cricut cake machine and would love to use it more often if the cricut frosting sheets weren't so expensive...because there is a LOT of waste. I'm wondering if anyone has found a substitue company to buy the frosting sheets from.

Thank you.

9 replies
sanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanb Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 10

You can order them from Kopycake - they are located somewhere in California. I am presuming that the Cricut frosting sheets are similar to Kopycake - only difference I think is Kopycake cake sheets are plain white.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 10

Cricut sheets are more like fruit leathers rolled really thin. I have the box that came with my HSN package- I tried one, hated it!

I have used Wilton fondant, fondant/gumpaste, MMF with tylose, and just this weekend make the Linda McClure recipe. Roll think on mat, let it sit a few minutes (some people freeze), then cut.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 10

I wouldn't pay a dime for the frosting sheets.. I took the ones I did buy back because they were so crappy. The were hard and cracked instead of cutting.. it was awful. Went back to gum paste, that works great

mdaily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdaily Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 10

I don't like the cricut sheets, they are way too expensive and taste terrible....and..there is sooo much waste. I've tried using MMF, it worked ok, but it really didn't cut very clean lines. I did like that I could wad it all up and roll it out again. It's just that sometimes, I feel kind of lazy and don't care to make the MMF. I'll try using straight gumpaste, I don't mind making that.

Thank you all for your replies!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 10

I experimented with several different icing sheets and this is what I found. Cricut icing sheets were the worst! Not only did they not cut well, they were very expensive and a real waste of money.

Kopy Kake's were OK, but they did not cut great and were not very strong. I mean that the design would tear when I tried to take it off my baking paper.

Icing Images worked very nicely. They cut great and were strong enough for me to handle a very intricate cut piece. They took the color from my air brush and went through the printer nicely.

Photo Frost also worked well. They have a thicker sheet that works great for electronic cutters.

When using icing sheets I remove them from the backing paper and attach them to a piece of heavy paper like card stock. I put white shortening on the back of the icing sheet and and put it on the paper. Use a paper towel to rub across the top to remove any shortening that may have gotten on the icing sheet and to help it stick to the paper. Set your cutter so that the knife in the blade holder cuts through the icing sheet, not the paper. Remove the excess icing sheet when you are finished cutting your designs and you can store the cut design on your paper until you need to use it.

I hope this helps. I was using gum paste exclusively with my electronic cutter, but I am starting to use icing sheets more. They are so convenient!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 10

The edible sheets for printing on work great, you can order them from most online cake shops

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 10

Watch for a new line of papers from Icing Images...I am hoping to debut them at NCACS at the end of the month!

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #9 of 10

IcinG images

What will your sheets taste like? And how do they hold up on the cricut machine? Thx

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:39am
post #10 of 10

Tobias and Jennifer at Atwoods bakery tested our sheets and say they are awesome in the machine. It is what they use. They train professionals on the Cricut. They taste great. I will be glad to send you a sample if you call my office. The samples I currently have are not sized to the cricut, but will be the same material used for those sheets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%