Parchment Paper Vs Cake Release

Baking By bcarb Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm by milkmaid42

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 19

I just made an 8 x 3 and 6 x 3 cake with only using Canola oil to grease the pan. Guess what, I couldn't get either to release from the pan. So I need to do something different. I would only like to put my money into either lining my pans with parchment paper or using Cake Release. Which is better??? My husband is eating my cake directly from the pan............

18 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 19

I use a home made cake release: 1 part veg oil to 1 part shortening, to 1 part flour. Mix together and keep, covered, in the fridge. I apply it with a pastry brush to the bottom and sides of the pan then place a circle of waxed paper on the bottom. I then apply one coat of the release to the paper and have never had a cake fail to release completely.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 19

I grease the sides and an inch or so around the bottom with shortening and then lay parchment on the bottom and never have a problem.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 19

I take the easy way out and buy the bakers choice cake release from the local market, found with the pam and oils. I love it, I have never had a problem with it.

KatyP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyP Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:14am
post #5 of 19

I use the Wilton cake release, and swear by it!

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 19

Cake release for sure. It makes your cakes, kinda firmer on the outside, they dont crumb at all, it's brilliant stuff. Cakes don't stick to even the mankiest of hired tins!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 19

The only method that I can say has worked 100% of the time is parchment paper. I also spray the sides when I put parchment on the bottom. I do use cake release sometimes, and it is good, as long as you use a ton, but if I have a cake that I know I can't (or don't want to) redo if there's a problem, I go with parchment paper.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
post #8 of 19

I vote for parchment paper. I never use pan release when I use parchment. But I do use pan release for bundt and tube pans.

If your cakes stick to the pan, try warming them to soften/liquefy the fat. Either put them back in the oven for a few minutes or put them on the stove top (but watch carefully). Just don't use the blowtorch.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #9 of 19

I actually use both. I use the homemade cake release all over the pan and then a parchment circle at the bottom. Never have any problems.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #10 of 19

I use parchment only. I line the bottom and the sides. I hate cake release because it's a pain to wash off. If I can have one less greasy thing to clean... it's a plus for me. LOL

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:39am
post #11 of 19

I typically just use the cake release spray. I don't pay for Wilton and instead just do a generic version from the grocery store and it's worked 99% of the time. Having some issues recently and wasn't sure what the deal was so tonight I used both parchment on the bottom and the spray and it worked fine.

hrnewbie Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #12 of 19

I typically just use the cake release spray. I don't pay for Wilton and instead just do a generic version from the grocery store and it's worked 99% of the time. Having some issues recently and wasn't sure what the deal was so tonight I used both parchment on the bottom and the spray and it worked fine.

hrnewbie Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #13 of 19

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:01am
post #14 of 19

I use a grocery store brand parchment all the time and it has never failed me, not even once.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:22am
post #15 of 19

Thanks for all of the ideas. I didn't know that you could make your own release, either.

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:42am
post #16 of 19

I use the Bakers Choice cake release & parchment paper. Cake comes out perfect every time.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:19am
post #17 of 19

If I had to choose between one or the other, I would choose cake release. I use a baking spray with flour in it (doesn't matter which brand to me) and line the bottom of my pan with parchment. I've not had one cake stick since I started using the parchment on the bottom. However, if I could only have one, I'd choose the cake release. Neither one is expensive, but if the budget doesn't allow for both, gimme the release.

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:37am
post #18 of 19

I have only used homemade cake release, others have called it pan grease, since finding out about it. Not only does it work great, it is a small fraction of the cost of Wilton cake release or the Baker's Secret. One thing I have noticed though is you need to flip the cake out of the pan before the pan cools or it does stick. Other than that, pan grease is the only thing I use!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 19

If I let my cake cool too long in the pan, I simply place it on the stove burner VERY BRIEFLY to rewarm the bottom and then it flips out perfectly. It doesn't take but a second or two!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%