Moldable Whaaa?

Decorating By cakebeard Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm by imagenthatnj

cakebeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebeard Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

I'm an artist, but new to this material so I need some help with the techniques pro's use. I've messed around with fondant, found it very cool and easy to use. I have 3 cakes under my veterans belt.

My question to you folks is: I have a project i'm going to tackle this week. It's going to be a free standing structure that stands about 18'' tall with a 4'' wide. This object is going to be half of my cake.

I plan on making the tall structure out of rice krispy treats (a friend told me "thats what cake boss uses".

Has anyone used this material in the past? What can I expect when I go to apply the fondant? Is it just as easy as throwing the stuff on a cake? Should I cover the Rice K treats with icing first?

Also, how strong is moldable choclate? Does it get pretty stiff when it hardens? I'm thinking about using this for the first time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

8 replies
Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:24am
post #2 of 9

I've never used RKT but modelling chocolate - that I've played with a few times now and it does get pretty stiff when it hardens. I'm sure someone will be along to give you some better info than me as I'm relatively new to all of this.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I'm not a big fan of RKT. Lots of people do use and like the product, but heat and humidity will cause problems. I prefer modeling chocolate - it is easy to use and does harden as it cools. Once firmed up, it holds shape very well. If you use RKT, you will need to smooth the surface by either crushing the rice with your fingers as you mold, carving the surface with a knife, and/or covering the surface with melted chocolate or candy discs. Your fondant will take on the surface of whatever you put it on - lumpy surface, lumpy fondant. Modeling chocolate can be smoothed beautifully - it really does not need a fondant covering. It is, obviously, heavier than RKT. I have no idea of your design idea, but maybe you can model your tall, skinny figure around a dowel or small-diameter PVC pipe long enough to go all the way into your cake and down into the cake board (or a flange anchored on the cake board) for security.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

I just finished a 2 foot tall Godzilla made from RKT and covered in fondant. I used PVC armature for support. Here is what I've learned from fellow CC members:

RKT will not stick directly to PVC. I covered mine in chocolate, but you can also use royal icing.

I used store bought RKT - as I was in a time crunch. They worked perfectly.

Have a bowl of water ready and keep your hands wet while handling the RKT. This keeps them from sticking to you and you won't have greasy hands.

RKT are a bit tough to work in fine details, but if you get as much of the shape as possible, the rest can be done with the fondant.

Crumb coat your RKT figure with icing of your choice (I used buttercream.)

Apply fondant with medium pressure to adhere to the crumb coat. Work in your details while fondant is still pliable. (I went a little too slow and have some cracking in mine.)

Decorate/paint/airbrush as needed.

Post pictures when done!!

Manderly42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

I just posted pictures in my gallery if you're interested.

cakebeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebeard Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys so much! This site has supe uber talented people, great to be a part of it!

Manderly42, that Toy story cake is super cool.. what did you make the headboards out of?

Manderly42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebeard

Thank you guys so much! This site has supe uber talented people, great to be a part of it!

Manderly42, that Toy story cake is super cool.. what did you make the headboards out of?

Thanks - the headboard and footboard are fondant with gum-tex added (1tsp Wilton Gumtex per 1lb of fondant.) Gumtex helps harden the fondant. I let it dry for two days in the oven with the light on, flipping the pcs to dry both sides thoroughly. My daughters teachers are still talking about it! It was the easiest cake with such a big wow factor - sheet cakes covered in a fondant "blanket" and fondant head/foot boards. The toys are plastic, however...

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

I just made a Mickey Mouse out of RKT. Heres a few tips that may be helpful.

I put the cereal in a food processor for a bit to make it a finer consistency. It makes for less bumps and also helps form a stronger bond after mixing with the marshmallows. You can also put the cereal in a ziplock and use your roller to smash them up a bit too.

I also covered it with candy melts after forming the shapes I needed. The candy melts firm up and allow you to run your fingers over it to make it nice and smooth before applying the fondant.

After smoothing, just mist with a little water before applying the fondant so it will stick.

I used wooden dowels in each leg and going up into the body to hold it together. I used a couple skewers to attach the head and arms.

When you are applying the fondant, if it gets dry and starts cracking, you can rub some crisco into it and it helps smooth it out.

Hope this helps! Please post pics when you are finished. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%