How Do I Make Red Buttercream?

Baking By CrescentMoon Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm by CrescentMoon

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make red buttercream (the color of Mickey's pants) and I typically use Wiltons gel coloring, how much of the no taste red would I need in order to make a truley red buttercream? Is there a trick to getting it red without using an entire bottle? I will be making 4 cups of buttercream, if that helpd. Thanks in advance

7 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

There is no magic recipe or formula. Making red BC takes a lot of color. Just have a bottle or two of the no taste color on hand and start mixing. When you think you are almost at the right color...STOP. The red tends to intensify as it sits.
Hope this helps

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 8

When I made Elmo's fur, I used a little of Wilton's rose pink to start the color change in my all butter recipe and then added almost a full small jar of the Wilton No Taste Red. I mixed in a tiny amount of burgundy. I also added meringue powder to the batch.

The icing didn't bleed and wasn't bitter and it was the perfect red. icon_smile.gif It will darken as the batch sits so add half a small jar of the No Taste Red and check it in an hour and see if you like the results.

If you can buy Americolors Super Red at Hobby Lobby, you'll use less than you would with the Wilton gels.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 8

Even the no taste has a taste IMO. When I use color on cake I always layer on regular buttercream, get it cold and hard and and then top it with a thin layer of color to avoid taste or staining issues. You just have to use so much color for red. And yes, it does darken so let it sit a while.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 8

There is a similar thread going on now here:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7063107.html#7063107

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

Jen9936 - I love the cuppies in your avatar! They remind me of 'schmuzzies' in a kids tv programme called "The Upside Down Show" icon_smile.gif

Re: red bc - I have resorted to using my airbrush now for red, or black, or deep purple cakes. Overall its less colour and much less of the foul taste issue.

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 8

I could never get red from the Wilton colors, always got pink. I have a cake store in my area. They have red powder that I use. It will give me a nice true red color. I also use the powder for black as well.

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone. the red I got will do, it's kind of a washed out denim red (if denim was red and washedout)...it is close to the cupcake cups I am using, so I think it will be ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%