Smbc Cookies & Cream And Cupcakes

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 1:41am by countrygirll

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone made a cookies & cream SMBC to fill and frost cupcakes? We have a family friend's daughter in town for a visit (she leaves across the country) and she never gets my cake or cupcakes so I always try to make her something, and cupcakes are generally the easiest. Last time I experimented with bacon cupcakes (they weren't bad at all) but this time I want to give her something classic, or at least, not weird. LOL.

She's had my chocolate cupcakes before, as orange cupcakes, margarita cupcakes, and peanut butter chocolate.

I want to make an SMBC rather than an american buttercream (I don't want to have to go buy shortening - lazy me) and I was thinking cookies and cream with a chocolate cupcake. I saw a thread where someone asked if this was possible, so I know it is. But my question is, would you fill and ice with the cookies & cream or just fill and then ice with vanilla SMBC?

Thoughts?

15 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 16

Yes, you can use cookies in your SMBC.

If it were me I'd skip filling and just pile on the SMBC. You could always pop an oreo at the bottom of your cupcake liner and use it as a crust if you want to add a little more WOW.

Sounds tasty, can I have one? icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

pmarks0 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Jen! I had heard about putting the oreo at the bottom and was considering that. I read that I would separate the oreo and make sure here was some cream on both sides and just use on side at the bottom. No filling is probably a good idea too. icon_smile.gif Do you know if the cookie stays crispy?

Would you use a chocolate or a vanilla cupcake for this? The recipe I had seen with the cookie was using a vanilla cupcake.

FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 16

If you want a crispy cookie your best bet is to think along the lines of a graham cracker crust... so pop a cookie in your liners and then put in the oven to toast it for 5-10 minutes. Then add your batter and bake.

Totally up to you, but if it were me, I'd do chocolate cake and use cookie for a little texture only in the buttercream. I'd try and get the flavor to be more of the cream filling, so I'd use a bunch of the cream from the cookies and only 1/2 of the cookies crushed up. Make sense? But my chocolate cake is really chocolate-y hence the reason I try and break it up.

Still want one. Want my address? icon_biggrin.gif

pmarks0 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks. And yes, made sense. icon_smile.gif

I'd send one but I think being SMBC it would be melted by the time it reached you. icon_wink.gif

countrygirll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirll Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 16

I made oreo cupcakes and LOVED them. I put a little bit of batter on the bottom of the cupcake wrapper then plopped the oreos that are half vanilla/half chocolate and then put a bit more cupcake batter on the top. The cookie does not get soggy at all, infact, it is one of my favorite and most requested! I have used both chocolate and vanilla cupcakes--everyone has their favorite. I have also experimented with the various oreo cookies out there---chocolate cupcake with mint oreos and mint frosting--just like a girl scout cookie! I sometimes garnish with an oreo or crumbled oreo crumbs!

I have never used oreo's with SMBC, but I think I'm going to the next time around! woohoo!

Good LUCK!

pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 16

@countrygirll - so you put a whole oreo cookie in the middle of the cupcake?

Maybe I'll do half like that and half the way FromScratchSF describes. I'm making them tonight so we'll see. icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 16

There's a recipe for an Oreo's IMBC at the bottom of this post.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/08/super-mario-bros-cake.html

pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 16

@imagenthatnj - thanks!! I'm sure I can just use SMBC instead of IMBC....

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 16

Of course you can use SMBC. Same thing, just a different procedure to get to it.

pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 16

Excellent!!! I'm making them tonight for tomorrow.

I'm not going to bother refrigerating them once done and iced. I don't think they need to be for that short a time. Was just reading threads trying to decipher if this is the case. Otherwise they go in the fridge until I'm home from work tomorrow and then out to go to the recipient but then she'll have to wait a bit for the icing to soften.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 16

I've left IMBC out for a whole day. It stays nice and firm as long as you don't put it under the sun or a hot light.

FromScratchSF, any advice? I know you're very knowledgeable about this stuff.

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I've left IMBC out for a whole day. It stays nice and firm as long as you don't put it under the sun or a hot light.

FromScratchSF, any advice? I know you're very knowledgeable about this stuff.

If I refrigerate, it's to save the moistness of the cake, NOT because of the whole "OMGEGGSINMABUTTERCREAMONOEZ!!!!!

I make it in quantity, weigh it out into ziplock bags based on my orders, push all the air out then leave the bags out until I use them. I only make it in 3 day supplies though.

When I do cuppies I'll bake in advance then pop into the freezer. I pull them out about 20 minutes before I give to the customer, frost with ziplock stock then send them on their way.

Of course, I live in a place where the year-round temp is between 63-70 degrees, so I'd probably refrigerate more if I lived someplace hot to prevent melting, but my problem more often then not is my kitchen is too cold all the time to get the butter at a decent temp to mix smoothly. I sometimes have to hold the bowl over warm water to get it to come together without breaking the meringue.

countrygirll Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

@countrygirll - so you put a whole oreo cookie in the middle of the cupcake?

Maybe I'll do half like that and half the way FromScratchSF describes. I'm making them tonight so we'll see. icon_biggrin.gif

pmarks0

Oh yes---the whole oreo----YUMMMMMY!!!! I like to put a little batter in the bottom then put the oreo then put the remaining batter so that the cookie is not on the bottom---not sure why---personal preference I guess.

pmarks0 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 16

Cupcakes were a huge hit. I did what Countrygirl suggested and put the whole cookie in the middle of the cupcake. Oreos in the SMBC was terrific!

Thanks everyone!

countrygirll Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:41am
post #16 of 16

wooohoooo I am so happy for you pmarks0...I'm glad that everything turned out well!!!! I'm sure this will become a favorite!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%