Kinda Down..economy Killing My Business...

Business By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 1:02pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 22

I having been really down since after Christmas as my orders have significantly dropped this year and the end of last year....I am usually booked up solid 3 weeks in advance for every weekend and now I am so quiet.I know it is the economy and when people don't have money the luxury items get axed but I am really starting to get worried.Hubby and I rely on this income to help out with the bills and when it is significantly cut...well you get it... icon_cry.gif

Doesn't help that everytime I go on Facebook a newly opened business here which offers cakes as part of their party package is bragging how busy and booked they are icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Anyways..Just wanted to express to those who understand!! thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 22

Ugh. I think it's spreading, too. I'm so tired of hearing and reading in the media how the economy is recovering. Recovering for who?

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 22

So many people are struggling these days. I am afraid the economy is going to get worse before it gets better! I hope your business rebounds soon!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 22

I feel your pain! I have had only 2 orders since the beginning of the year and only 2 small orders coming up. I only have 2 weddings booked so far.

This economy is hurting me, too. icon_cry.gif

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I'm so tired of hearing and reading in the media how the economy is recovering. Recovering for who?

Some were never affected by it. Not the nicest thing to say, but it's a fact. Tiffany's posted record sales around Christmas, the luxury car makers are putting out new models, etc., etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 22

also remember that Jan-March is usually the "famine" part of this feast-or-famine business.

Isn't the #1 new years resolution to lose weight? i.e. not eat cake/cookies? icon_rolleyes.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 22

Keep your chin up !!! People are always going to have celebrations....birthday's, anniversaries, wedding, etc....there will be a need for one of your beautiful cakes. I think Deb is right, this time of year is the famine stage. Wedding season will be here soon and I'm sure you will get busier! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks Debi...Yeah...hubby said that Jan/Feb are usually slow because people are recovering from over spending at Christmas but this has never affected me before...I've been getting lots of "Tire kicking" emails also of people who are inquiring and then don't want to order when they find out how much...or try to barter my prices..No Way...I don't need the money that bad!!..I guess I'll just try and hang on to the postive attitude that things will get better...

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 22

I know the feeling too well. the orders are there but the cost of ingredients are killing me. I worry that raising my prices will push people away but I also need to make a profit. icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:37am
post #10 of 22

Kiddy have you clicked your link lately? it goes to a party store and not to a cake site. That could be a huge problem if your website isn't accessible.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #11 of 22

ditto sadsmile-- i'm pretty web savvy & if i were looking for cake i would have left your site. instead, i read & seached, clicking 3 links before getting to your actual cakes.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 22

could you maybe afford to send out reminder cards to those who ordered birthday cakes last year? remind them to call and order this year's cakes.

or for wedding cakes, send a happy anniversary card to the couple and remind them to order their anniv cake.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 22

It's not just you. I have a wedding garter business (my FT job) and it's been down 5-15% for a few months now. Just not getting as many orders and the orders I am getting are down in average transaction too so my brides just aren't spending as much. Keeping it optimistic though, it'll come back. Hang in there.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 22

I think Jan/Feb is always super slow for me....it will come back.....

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Kiddy have you clicked your link lately? it goes to a party store and not to a cake site. That could be a huge problem if your website isn't accessible.

I couldn't see any links to cakes, even clicking on other links I couldn't see it.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 22

They're right....I can't find your cakes on your link either!

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 22

Yeah..I know..I decided to take my website off of my signature because I was getting emails from idiots hassling me from US addresses which I think was from here...I do have a website but don't want it listed here anymore. icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hmmm..I better have a look on my signature...okay for some reason my website wasn't on my signature but it is now.... thumbs_up.gif

Ahhh there ya go.

Any way you can purchase a domain name instead of use the freewebs? You will get lots more web traffic that way. Maybe that's your problem...you need to optimize your website a tad...maybe use this slow caking time to increase your visibility online?

I used my slow time to try to contact some venues to get more wedding orders and I think it worked this year...still working out details.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 22

I'm slow too. The few inquiries I've had lately are from the WalMart brides. icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:33pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm slow too. The few inquiries I've had lately are from the WalMart brides. icon_confused.gif

I did a tasting for one of those the other day. Didn't make the sale. icon_sad.gif

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 22

In any business January is usually busy with gift card redeemers and purchases for late-Christmas get togethers. By February the Visa bills start to arrive from Christmas and people tighten the purse strings. March is about family vacation time with the kids being out of school for a week (and every district is a different week). By April the rain starts and people start planning parties and feeling like spending again.

Usually for us that is how it worked with retail. We also experienced a lull in September when the kids went back to school until after Thanksgiving in mid-October (Canada).

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:02pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks Cakenovice2010...I am beginning to pickup..I have had several inquiries and actual orders already so maybe you are right!!You can just never tell with the way the world economy is going...People panick and when they do that....everything is scaled down or comes to a halt!!

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%