Dark Brown Fondant...duff Vs Satinice?

Decorating By cakestars Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm by TabbieCakes

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #1 of 10

i have trouble with dark brown fondant. locally, we only have a michaels so i normally just buy the duff when i need it. i noticed it cracks and i don't like working with it unless its for small decor. is satin ice any different? i was just wondering if it, by any chance, were easier to work with.

i tried making my own once and it turned out great for a football but it wasn't the deep brown i need for a baby shower coming up. they want a brown bow on top of the cake that has many loops. i'm just worried about it cracking.

any suggestions? thanks!

9 replies
cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 10

I've used the Duff brown fondant and while I find it's easy to work with, it doesn't dry hard enough. I too have an issue making a deep dark brown, and I can't afford to buy the Wilton because you only get that tiny little block of fondant. I just recently bought satin ice dark chocolate online, and I am actually working on a headboard (Toy Story bed cake for this weekend) right now. I can't yet say that it's better because I literally JUST made it. I'm hoping it's better than Duff and dries hard. I mixed it with a bit of Wilton dark brown and Wilton light brown that I had left over, and also added a bit of gumpaste. I'd love to hear others experiences with the Satin Ice dark chocolate......this thing needs to be hardened by Sunday and I know if I used the Duff stuff, it definitely wouldn't be.

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 10

let me know how it works out for you!

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 10

have you ever heard of something called Tylose Powder? this is what i mix in with my fondant if i want to create a hard structure or anything. because regular fondant will only dry so hard, so i make my own fondant and add the tylose, let it dry for a few hours or overnight depending on the thickness of what i'm making, and voila!

i use it when im making tappit alphabet letters and i need the letters to dry hard.

HTH

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 10

I really like the Satin Ice. It's really dark so I often add a little white to it - works great!

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 10

I've used both, and actually at tge same time, to make loop bows. The duff was dry, and more matte, and not all that easy to work with(but I do like other colors). Satin ice was a deeper, richer, prettier brown, much easier to work with, and had more of a sheen. My satin ice bow was so much prettier. But I did end up liking the duff bow cuz I added a red stripe to it (in my pics). Anyway, I do find SI brown to be much bettericon_wink.gif

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

I make all my fondant. For Black and brown I melt the brown chocolate candy melts and then need them into my white mmf then add coloring either brown or black I do the same for red with red candy melts. It works great and I get true color

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #8 of 10

Wow rntyler, that sounds great! What ratio of candy melts to MMF do you use?

And have you ever added the candy melts to the melted marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar in MMF or do you just always need the melted candy into the MMF dough?

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:44am
post #9 of 10

I make a full batch of mmf so 2lb bag of confectioners sugar
10 ounce bag of mini marshmellows
2 tblsp water
1/4 bag of candy melts about 4 ounces
I have never tried adding the melts before I make the dough I make my dough then melt the melts and add them need them in till your fondant is tinted then add your color. You need to use a lot of shooting on your hands and it will feel pretty stiff but it will loosen up don't be alarmed it takes awhile to get it all mixed in but its worth it the fondant is a little harder to roll out but not much the only other way I have gotten true black is by making my mmf purple and then dying it black
Your hands will get died if you do not wear gloves
Hope this helps

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntyler

I make a full batch of mmf so 2lb bag of confectioners sugar
10 ounce bag of mini marshmellows
2 tblsp water
1/4 bag of candy melts about 4 ounces
I have never tried adding the melts before I make the dough I make my dough then melt the melts and add them need them in till your fondant is tinted then add your color. You need to use a lot of shooting on your hands and it will feel pretty stiff but it will loosen up don't be alarmed it takes awhile to get it all mixed in but its worth it the fondant is a little harder to roll out but not much the only other way I have gotten true black is by making my mmf purple and then dying it black
Your hands will get died if you do not wear gloves
Hope this helps

THANKS SO MUCH! I have a cake coming up that needs a small amount of black and a small amount of red. I'm definitely going to try this. I love making my own MMF and hate the price of store bought. I really appreciate your help thumbs_up.gif Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%