Topsy Turvy Tips!

Decorating By newcaker1314 Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 5:32am by LisaPeps

newcaker1314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcaker1314 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 39

Hi I am doing my first topsy turvy cake this weekend and I would love any tips you might have!

Topsy Turvy Experts please share your secrets!

- newcaker1314 icon_biggrin.gif

38 replies
graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 39

Hey newbie, I'm on the same quest this week. Let's keep in touchicon_smile.gifgracie

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 39

what topsy turvy set up are you going to try? There are a few different ways to do one.

graciesj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 39

Not sure who you're referring to. I'm doing a 2 tier one in a rock n' roll theme. I just read the tutorial about the sizes for them. Bake 3 2" tall ones, carve until the highest point is 6" and lowest point is 4". Is this correct?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 39

use a very sturdy cake, and cut your inset holes after you apply the fondant.

graciesj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of 39

I do have a great recipe for durable cakesicon_smile.gif And would you mind me asking what"inset holes' mean? Maybe it's a term I'm not used to hearing,lol.icon_smile.gif gracie

sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #7 of 39

the holes u have to make in the lower tier for the upper tiers to sit down into....

graciesj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #8 of 39

aaahhhh I understand now. Thank-you very muchicon_smile.gif I just took at look at your photos and I must say you're amazing. Very clean and spot on workicon_smile.gif I'm honoured to receive advice from you. gracieicon_smile.gif

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #9 of 39

Would the WASC cake be durable enough for this?

sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:28am
post #10 of 39

i do not like to use the wasc for this, too soft. The durable recipe here on CC is good, using betty crocker

graciesj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 39

My customer just called to confirm and she needs a cake for 25 ppl. Does any-one have any suggestions on the sizes of cakes I should do? I would like to do a 2 tier topsy curvy cake. thank-youicon_smile.gif

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 39

Thank you Sugarshack on the info about the WASC... I will have to give the other recipe a try when I attempt this.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 39

Okay - gotta hop in here and say that Sugarshack has the best DVD on topsy turvy cakes - covers everything you need to know. I have it and love it. Well worth the small investment thumbs_up.gif

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_85116/topsy_turvy_dvd

sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

aaahhhh I understand now. Thank-you very muchicon_smile.gif I just took at look at your photos and I must say you're amazing. Very clean and spot on workicon_smile.gif I'm honoured to receive advice from you. gracieicon_smile.gif

aw shucks, thank you for the nice words.

sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 39

Thanks Irene! <3

sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

My customer just called to confirm and she needs a cake for 25 ppl. Does any-one have any suggestions on the sizes of cakes I should do? I would like to do a 2 tier topsy curvy cake. thank-youicon_smile.gif

I would not go any smaller than a 5 and 8 for your first try. Will be closer to 30-35 servings.

candicemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemarie Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #17 of 39

ive havent made one yet but this video seems helpful

graciesj Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 39

thank-you Sharonicon_smile.gif

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:42pm
post #19 of 39

Surely wish I could tell you what I did wrong--but my topsy turvy did just that! It topsied! icon_sad.gif I had it chillin' in the fridge, then opened the door, and the bottom layer had exploded. Only advice I can give you is to practice before you have to deliver! Maybe the cake I used wasn't durable enough. Excellent tips here, as always.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 39

Surely wish I could tell you what I did wrong--but my topsy turvy did just that! It topsied! icon_sad.gif I had it chillin' in the fridge, then opened the door, and the bottom layer had exploded. Only advice I can give you is to practice before you have to deliver! Maybe the cake I used wasn't durable enough. Excellent tips here, as always.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 39

Don't mean to hi-jack, but what about the topsy turvy with the foarm wedges? I have a 4 tier cake and they want the sloped wedges in between each tier. How much smaller do you make the wedge than the cake above and at what angle do you suggest the wedge be cut at? Been searching for answers without much luck on these questions.

sugarshack Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:15pm
post #22 of 39
sheilabelle Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 39

Sharon in your blog you said you used dummy topsy turvy for the wedges. If I were to use a regular dummy, what angle do you think I should cut it at? Were the wedges you used about 1" smaller than the cake above?

sugarshack Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 39

if i recall, I think they were about 2 inches smaller than the tier sitting above them. as far as the angle, that is personal preference and safety. Just shave a litte off and test it with cake pans, repeat, until you get it the way you want.

sheilabelle Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:35pm
post #25 of 39

Thanks Sharon. You are the BEST!!!!

graciesj Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:49pm
post #26 of 39

That is one great blog Sharonicon_smile.gif awesome icon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #27 of 39

So I made all the cakes required for this cake. I went with an 8" and a 5". The lady at my local cake supply store told me I'm going to need all the help I can get because apparently working with a 5" cake is VERY difficult! If this is true, does anyone have suggestions? Or know what she means?

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #28 of 39

OK, I'd like to try this for a cake this weekend. I've tried before, but I used WASC. What I don't have, is a great tasting, dense cake. Anyone care to share? icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #29 of 39

For the cutting of the angle of the topsy turvy, can you use your agbay so it is perfectly straight? Would the best way be to just get a wedge of some variety and wedge up one side of it?

Any ideas?

graciesj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:59pm
post #30 of 39

I would love to know what the term agbay means? there's so many video's on how to carve one. I'm just not sure how this woman can tell me that I'm going to have a hard time with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%