Recipe For Filling That Tastes Like Chocolate Mousse??

Baking By brandy1976 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 1:13am by brandy1976

brandy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy1976 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 12

I am looking for an easy filling recipe for a stacked and carved cake (diaper bag cake) that tastes like chocolate mousse but will set firm enough to hold up to being stacked. Thanks a lot!

11 replies
m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:38am
post #2 of 12

Would a whipped ganache work? My last one tasted like a dark chocolate mousse that I make, but was a pretty firm filling. I did it in cupcakes.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:01am
post #3 of 12

m_willford, you can whip ganache? I have made it once before but left it at room temp to "set" and used as a filling. Do you whip it before it sets when its warm or after it sets when it's more solid? I'd love to try it! I'm not a bowl/spoon "licker" but ganache does something to me that makes me turn into a 5 yr old waiting for Mom to finish with the cake lol.....

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 12

I have a question that my sound kind of dumb. But since I am new at this, here goes. When you use the whipped ganache, and your cake is not refrigerated, does the ganache stay firm? When I have used ganache before, and left it out of the fridge, of course it turns to soup. So what happens to it when it is in a cake for the filling???

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12

u can use bettercreme or pastry pride and make a mock mousse by adding a paste made from choc pudding mix combined with hot water.

m_willford Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, you can whip ganache. I just took my regular ganache recipe, let it cool down to room temperature. Then whipped it in my stand mixer!

The cooling down to room temp can take a couple of hours, but it's worth it. You also want to be sure that you don't over whip, or you pretty much end up with chocolate butter!

m_willford Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 12

nanasandy-

I'm not sure on a cake. I think you'd want to place a thin frosting barrier between the ganache and the cake, and refrigerate it. I did it as a filling for cupcakes, and while it was fine out of the fridge overnight, it was just a little ganache in each one. Also, the cupcake sort of absorbed it as a filling, hence the maybe wanting a barrier. Interesting question though, I'll have to think on that. icon_smile.gif

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

u can use bettercreme or pastry pride and make a mock mousse by adding a paste made from choc pudding mix combined with hot water.

Or easier yet... use chocolate bettercreme =).

However, I make my chocolate mousse out of pastry pride and cocoa with some powdered sugar to taste. (I've never measured the amounts..so sorry I can't help with that).

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 12

... I forgot to add.. yes you can whip ganache.. but I make sure the ratio of cream to chocolate is higher.. for example, when I make whipped white chocolate ganache, I use a 1:1 ratio of cream (actually I personally use Pastry Pride) to chocolate. Then I let it cool overnight in the fridge and whip it the next day.

I actually used it in a 4 tier cake 2 weeks ago and it held up no problem from Thursday when I started decorating, to Saturday when it was served.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 12

When I make whipped ganache, I make it thinner than regular ganache, and then refrigerate. Then whip...it makes a really light filling that melts in your mouth but as long as you whip it up completely, it is plenty stiff to fill cake.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #11 of 12

I use whipped ganache. It is light, fluffy and oh soooo good! icon_smile.gif

brandy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy1976 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:13am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

I use whipped ganache. It is light, fluffy and oh soooo good! icon_smile.gif

I made the whipped ganache It was amazing and worked great as a filling for my chocolate cake! I'm making it again this weekend.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%