Royal Icing A Cake Board

Decorating By lilacben Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 11:06am by lilacben

lilacben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacben Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

Could someone please tell me how you go about putting royaL icing on a cake board. Many thanks

6 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 7

Just thin out your icing some so it easy to smooth all over the cake board. I do find this makes the board all uneven and I think it is better to do it on a cake drum.
evelyn

lilacben Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

Many thanks, Do you put it on thickly or do a couple of coats.? When I have tried it before it has looked awful.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 7

When you put it on thick it takes longer to dry and more chance of it warping. Put just enough on to cover the board and it is still better to use a cake drum as they are foamboard covered in foil and it will help to not warp. Have you thought of using fondant to cover the board?
evelyn

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 7

I absolutely LOVE covering my cakedrums in icing ... so fast, so easy, so even, and I don't have to worry about nicking it when I'm setting my cake on it like I would with fondant. I actually use RI that is still fairly thick - like thick glue, where it still is liquidy enough to settle on its own (I don't thin it too much because parts of it look watery and transluscent), and I use Antonia74's recipe. I even mix the colors I want directly on the cakedrum, and just spread it out to cover the entire thing. The only thing is that I do have to give myself penty of time to make sure the board dries before I place my cake on it, or else it'll show when I go to put my cake on. Since I spread it thick, the cake sinks into the wet icing and it makes an ugly ripple around the edge (assuming I don't smudge it or move it!).

HTH!

lilacben Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7

Many thanks to both of you for your help. I am making wedding cakes for my daugthers wedding. The icing will be royal icing so I didnt think fondant would look right. First time I have made a wedding cake although I do lots of christmas cakes and birthday ones. I am concerned about it. Just hope I can get the icing straight and smooth. As for decorating it I was thinking of ribbon on the bottom of the cakes then dots in four layers. I have flowers for the top and cascading down the three tiers.
Would you know how to do dots.? I have seen there is a round head icing tube but was wondering if a writing nozzle would be ok.?

lilacben Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:06am
post #7 of 7

Hi I keep seeing different amounts of glycerin to put into Royal icing to stop it getting hard. Could someone please tell me if it is i or 2 teaspoons for 1lb of icing sugar.? also I always use ready made royal icing these days that you just add water to. do you also add lemon juice to it.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%