Soggy Cake Boards

Decorating By winnieyoung103 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 1:40pm by Sangriacupcake

winnieyoung103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winnieyoung103 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 17

I am making my first layered cake next week for a baby shower. I will be making it on Thursday. They friend who ordered it will pick it up Friday morning. Baby shower Saturday. My question is will the cake board in between the layers get soggy? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

16 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 17

I've had cakes sitting that long and the boards weren't soggy. However, if you're concerned about it, you can put wax paper around the boards.

HTH and good luck!

winnieyoung103 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 17

Thank You!! I wasn't concerned until I read somewhere that this can happen. I think I will chance it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 17

I wouldn't use wax paper, but press and seal wrap works well. I use foamcore boards and always wrap them.

If you're using wooden dowels, try cutting one ahead of time and make sure you can do it with the tools you have.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I wouldn't use wax paper, but press and seal wrap works well. I use foamcore boards and always wrap them.

Me too!!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 17

definately use foam core, cardboard tends to get too soggy (unless covered). in another forum post someone mentioned a $12 dry wall tool that cuts perfect circles if you're concerned about cutting your own =D

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winnieyoung103 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 17

WOW! This is the greatest site!! Off to buy foam board and dry wall cutter!! Thanks for all the help ladies!!!

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:30am
post #9 of 17

I've always wrapped cardboard with heavy duty tinfoil. That's just what my Wilton instructor had us do when I took the class years ago. (Now I feel old. LOL!)

I've also taped multiple boards together to make a thicker board, then wrapped it in foil. Press and seal seems like an interesting option though, I may try that at some point. icon_smile.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #10 of 17

I cut my cake seperaters from foam plates. You know , the disposable styrofoam plates . They're cheap, easily accessible , cut easily and do not get soggy .

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:51am
post #11 of 17

I also use Press-n-Seal. Quick and easy! (I've even re-used cake boards that I Press-n-Sealed! Only for family, of course. Shhh.)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #12 of 17

I'd be more concerned with pieces of foil, waxed paper, or plastic wrap being served along with the cake when it's cut, rather than the cake circle absorbing some of the grease/moisture.

Cake circles are made for cake... they don't get soggy to the point where they no longer support the cake, but they will become grease stained.

They don't require a covering (especially on the surface which is sliced on), but you can use a waxed paper circle on the bottom to prevent it from removing the icing from the lower tier (if you don't wait until it's crusted before stacking).

You could choose to use the wax-coated circles that are mostly used for cheesecakes, but they are more pricey and you risk the chance that your cake can slide off if there's no center dowel to help keep it all together.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #13 of 17

Press and seal adheres to the foamboard. Sometimes it's hard to remove if you realize you need to pull it off and cut the circle down a little bit. I've never had it come up when the cake was served.

I used to use foil, but that gets torn when the cake is cut, and it doesn't lay as flat as press and seal.

I started using foamcore when all I could find were the cardboard circles with scalloped edges...not what I needed. I also didn't do cakes often enough to need to buy packs with multiple circles of the same size.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:19am
post #14 of 17

Yes, the Press-N-Seal doesn't want to come up once it is down on the board . . . which is why I could use, clean and re-use one board.

winnieyoung103 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:12am
post #15 of 17

More great ideas! Thanks to all! Can't wait to try.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:20pm
post #16 of 17
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Tuffboards, tuffboards, tuffboards! http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/02/product-review-tuffboards.html

I get mine (or something similar) at Hobby Lobby. They're all plastic, so there's no need to cover them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%