Dry Ingredient Storage Conatiners

Business By bellaudreycakes Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm by gingerbreadtogo

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 7

My health inspector said I needed dry ingredient storage conatiners for flour, etc, do you also use them for your powdered sugar? I like keeping them in the bags becuase then I dont have to measure, most the time I use one full bag. Just wondered if you store your pwd sugar in them as that would probably be my biggest dry ingredient I use. Thanks for any help.

BTW I know this is completely unrelated but thought I might be able to ask 2 questions at once lol. How do you get that ivory color for your fondant etc., is there an actual food color called ivory? Thanks

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 7

As for your storage, i would ask for more clarification from your Health Inspector. Do you only have to store open bags? (flour and sugar usually aren't used in full bags so you wouldn't want to store them opened) But since the PS isn't opened and you use one full bag at a time you may not need to open and store. Since i'm not in your area i can't help with exactly what your regulations are.

As for ivory color, Americolor makes an Ivory.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #3 of 7

Powdered sugar is one of the few items we don't buy in bulk containers, we buy mass quantities of 2 pound bags at Target. It's much easier to measure out that way.

For flour and granulated sugar we definitely use dry storage containers, most restaurant supply stores should carry them.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 7

hey, it depends on where you live what your health inspector wants. here in pa flour and GRANULATED SUGAR need storage containers, powdered sugar should actually be kept in its bag. have you ever noticed sugar and flour are sold in bags that are not plastic? and powdered sugar is always sold in sealed plastic bags? i think the health inspector would expect th exact opposite, meaning you should keep it in its original bag, but use all of it after its opened or put it in a resealable bag.
second question, most fondant comes out with an ivory tint naturally, but there is ivory coloring for a deeper tone. if you are making it yourself the pure vanilla extract (i think is in almost all fondant recipes, personally i buy it) gives it the ivory hue instead of the pure white like your powdered sugar. if you use clear vanilla flavor (ex. wiltons) you will have a white fondant! hope this helps! good luck! icon_smile.gif

hallyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7

Wilton makes ivory color in concentrated paste.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:40am
post #6 of 7

I use these 35 litre containers for flour (which I sift before it goes in) and granulated sugar, and I have another one the same which I store my 1kg bags of icing sugar in - but these are unopened and I use one per batch for my recipes so it suits me. I store them under my work benches.

I would imagine you can use any plastic containers, as long as it is food grade (here in Europe they have a little symbol on the plastic for this)

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

I use 22qt plastic container from rest. supply. I buy 25 lb bags of powdered sugar and with a big strainer that lays on top on container, I sift the whole bag into container. Then I have it sifted and ready to use and Mr. Health inspector is happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%