Can I Leave A Bare Cake Out For A Few Hours???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!

If I take a cake out of the oven at 900 am and let it cool on a cooling rack while I go to work until 400 pm, would the cake be ok?

It is a box mix that Sharon Zambito gives in her Back to Basics DVD.

Worried about the cake possibly drying out to much...Normally my cakes take about 2 1/2 hours to cool. Is 7 hours to much?

Michael

6 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 7

Depends on your recipe, if it's a fairly heavy/moist cake it would probably be fine. A lighter cake uncovered would dry out more the longer you leave it, obviously.

I have mud cakes that I always leave in the tin and cover tightly with foil as soon as they come out of the oven. They're fine like that for a day, in fact I think they're better because the steam can't escape so they don't dry out at all.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 7

I always leave my cakes out overnight uncovered, no problem with drying out especially since the bc puts moisture back in

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I always leave my cakes out overnight uncovered, no problem with drying out especially since the bc puts moisture back in

I don't always, but i have when i'm baking late at night. No problems here either.

Mikel79 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:24am
post #5 of 7

Glad to hear others have done this with no problems!

Thanks,

Michael

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

When I need cakes for my class I'm a last minute person, because I don't alway know ahead of time if I have class. So if it is a smaller cake, like the 8x3in round I do, I flip it out on a wire rack, then wire rack and all goes into my sheet cake size cake carrier. The cake outside of the cake will be really moist and you may need to let it sit out 15-20 mins before icing it, but I've never had an issue doing it.

Mikel79 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%