Has Any Ever Done This?

Decorating By Crazboutcakes Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 4:04am by Crazboutcakes

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 5

I decided to try something different tonight icon_cool.gif and I saw a cake boss show and buddy said that he was using 50% molding chocolate and 50% fondant mixed together to mold and sculpt figure and decorations. Has anyone ever used this method berfore? icon_eek.gif I found it difficult, and very soft icon_cry.gif any ideas to help it be easier to work with? Need help on this one! icon_redface.gif

4 replies
ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

I tried it once, and it turned out weird for me as well... Couldn't use it. Didn't try it again. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had any luck with it myself.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 5

I did this with my Reeses cake in my photos. The dark chocolate is modeling mixed with some Satin Ice. It is mostly modeling chocolate. It was not as easy to work with as straight fondant. It was a bit greasy but tasted good. I probably wouldn't do it again.

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:24am
post #4 of 5

I've used 50/50 modelling choc and fondant to cover cakes, it is definitly more sensitive to temperatures, the bonus is u can blend any seams in nicely. maybe the heat from ur hands was warming it up too quickly, when i am rolling it out to cover a cake i take a large baking sheet and put it on that in the freezer for a min just before i am about to put it over the cake, it gives me time to work with it and not 'melt it. modelling choc dries fairly stiff so u'd think it would help the fondant hold up better..... i've used it for making things/figures but not the 50/50 mix. i know that prolly doesnt help very much either icon_sad.gif i'll have to try it on my next cake.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:04am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for repling, psmith cake looks great, I wasn't sure if it was just me or not...lol... and sugarandspice I do love how you can smooth it out too, works great for that.I have made a man sleeping out of it and have a few other things to do too for a cake for the week end. Does it dry with out cracking? And will it fall apart when I pick it up to put on the cake board. Be interested to find out about more info and experiences other have had too. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%