What Size Dragees/pearls For This Cupcake With Flower

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 11:51pm by Kaybaby

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I need to order black edible pearls or dragees, but I'm not sure what size I need. I have black Sixlets but they are to big. I see 4mm black pearls. Would the 4mm work for what I need?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

I'm sorry I can't give credit to the cupcake maker, I don't know who it is.

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

I'm mm-challenged, so I couldn't even begin to guess what size you'd need. However, you may not need to order dragees, after all.

First, do you have that exact cutter? Will your flowers be exactly that size? If you don't have that cutter, you may need a different size altogether.

How many do you need? They're not that hard to make yourself. Just roll out some black fondant to a uniform thickness and use a round decorating tip to cut out same-size bits. Roll them into balls. If you want a little sheen, lightly brush the fondant sheet with pearl dust before cutting and rolling.

Kaybaby Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I'm mm-challenged, so I couldn't even begin to guess what size you'd need. However, you may not need to order dragees, after all.

First, do you have that exact cutter? Will your flowers be exactly that size? If you don't have that cutter, you may need a different size altogether.

How many do you need? They're not that hard to make yourself. Just roll out some black fondant to a uniform thickness and use a round decorating tip to cut out same-size bits. Roll them into balls. If you want a little sheen, lightly brush the fondant sheet with pearl dust before cutting and rolling.

My flowers will be similar, same size. I've tried rolling balls with fondant before and they aren't so pretty. I can't seem to get them smooth. I need about 150 of them.

Vonda

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

Yes to 4mm that would be right, any smaller would be too small, any bigger and they will take over. Any time I use dragees for flower centres I always use 4mm.

These are 4mm dragees

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1570310

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I've tried rolling balls with fondant before and they aren't so pretty. I can't seem to get them smooth. I need about 150 of them.

Yeah, for 150, you're better off buying them. That said, I've been surprised by how many imperfect shapes there are in a bottle of dragees!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

My flowers will be similar, same size. I've tried rolling balls with fondant before and they aren't so pretty. I can't seem to get them smooth. I need about 150 of them.

4 mm will work. if you're having trouble with fondant balls not being smooth, make sure you're using the palm of your hand and not your finger tips. Rub a little shortening into the palm of your (clean) hand and roll the ball until it feels warm. It will be perfectly smooth, and if not, just roll again palm to palm.

Kaybaby Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much,

Vonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%