Cricut Cake...help Me!!!!

Decorating By trulyscrumpcakes Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm by tiggy2

trulyscrumpcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumpcakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 16

I have a wedding cake this weekend that requires alot of fondant design. I got a CRICUT CAKE a few days ago and have been watching youtube videos on it and havent had time to experiment w it because i have been so busy baking a MILLION cakes for the wedding. I am going to start decorating today. I am going to use my own fondant to put in the Cricut. I heard of putting the fondant in the freezer to make it easier to work w because of how thin you have to roll it and how hard fondant is to work w once its rolled thin. Do i put it in before and after or just after the Cricut cuts out the design and if so how long do i put in in the freezer for???? Is this a hard machine to work with???And i do not wanna use gum paste at all cuz i hate rolling it out! haha PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
lholybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lholybee Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 16

I put the fondant in the freezer before and after cutting it out. If it is still cold enough I will pull off the extra and then pop the sheet back in the freezer for 10-15 mins.

trulyscrumpcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumpcakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 16

thank you so much! How do i know how thin to roll the fondant?

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 16

Had the same issues without my circuit.. Trying this tonight,but this is what I read... Can't remember where though... Roll it out thin ,but not thin enough to see through.Put in freezer 15-20minutes. Then put it through the cricut. Remove excess, but keep your cut image on the mat. Put it back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes then take it off the mat and let dry. Hope it works.. Let me know if it did!!!

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 16

I have had much better luck with gumpaste than fondant. I have heard that if you add tylose to the fondant it works better. Good luck

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 16

Hey,

I have never had to put mine in the freezer. I would roll it out and just wait about 10 min. I did add some tylose for strength. Good luck. You will have better luck cutting larger items. Anytime I've tried to cut anything less than about 1 1/2, it would just drag. I might be doing something wrong, but that's my experience.

Lori/lorabell

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 16

I have had the same problem with cutting smaller things. But I do love using it for names. I haven't heard of putting in the freezer, I will have to try that next time.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 16

I haven't played with my cricut yet but one of the hints someone offered on this site was to have it cut twice.

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 16

i use satin ice fondant straight out of the bucket. I roll it thin enough that i can see the lines on the mat through it.
i NEVER freeze it. When the fondant is out and starts to warm up it softens and can cause issues with it not cutting well. I just let it sit on the counter for 10-30 minutes to "dry" up a little and get firm. Cuts perfect for me.

As you can see though, something different works for everyone. Some only use gumpaste (made or bought) some use fondant with things added. It's really finding out what works for you.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 16

I have only got mine to work with Modeling Chocolate and it cuts BEAUTIFULLY any size or design it will cut perfectly i do roll it out and freeze not very long maybe 5 min you want it cold but not frozen. My husband does most of the cutouts just make sure its not too thick.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 16

Check out Linda McClures blogspot for step by step instructions

tiggy2 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #12 of 16
Donna27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna27 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 16

Hi can you tell me if you can use the normal circuit cartridges on the circuit cake machine because I have read on one site you can and another site said you can't because I am looking at buying one soon please help

tiggy2 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 16

Yes you can.

oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 16

Has anyone used the Cricut Cake frosting sheets? I tried to use one last night and it just keep breaking into pieces when it started to cut. I used alot of Crisco to coat the mat. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this problem with them?

tiggy2 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 16

Those frosting sheets are horrible!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%