Why Are Owls So Popular Right Now?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm by VannaD

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 23

I have noticed tons of owls lately.. why or what made them so popular and what do you think the next big animal or thing is up and coming.

BTW I thinks the owls are super cute!

22 replies
Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 23

I have no idea, but I do know that there are Owls in the Girl Scout cookie sales clip art...

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 23

A throw-back to the 70's ? icon_wink.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 23

I don't know either. I recently did an Owl/Lollipop themed cake that was so stinking cute! I wondered where the Owl theme came from too.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 23

I noticed it also. Normally, my husband gives my girls some heart related jewelry every Valentine's Day. This time he gave them sterling silver Owl necklaces and told them "who loves you, who?who?" when they opened them this morning. Kinda corny, I know. They loved them. They wore them to school - one is in college the other high school.

Vonda

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 23

I think it's because that is the popular invitation and party theme right now. Most people pick out the invitations and plates first and then match the cake to it. Last year it was ladybugs or castles.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 23

I know alot of the owl hype got started with the "look whoo's one" invitation and partyware collection that features cute owls...probably a good way to keep up on the latest trends is to visit wedding invitation and party invitation websites and see what the newest designs are...when it comes to events people typically start out with picking an invitation and then basing the designs of the party around that.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I think it's because that is the popular invitation and party theme right now. Most people pick out the invitations and plates first and then match the cake to it. Last year it was ladybugs or castles.

that makes perfect sense! I knew there had to be a good reason.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 23

OMG, I just went to "party city" to see what kinds of plate they have right now for the 1yr old b-day.. CareBears and I have recently noticed alot of carebear cakes. I thought they maybe where cakes for ppl like me in their mid 30's and grew up on carebears.. nope baby's 1st b-day theme. lol. wow funny!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 23

There is a FANTASTIC animation film called Legend of the Guardians, maybe thats something to do with it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219342/

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

There is a FANTASTIC animation film called Legend of the Guardians, maybe thats something to do with it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219342/

I know I had an order for a Barn Owl due to this movie

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 23

Also, don't forget the "clockwork" owl made a comeback last year in the new Clash of the Titans movie. It only had a 3 second cameo, but I know I wasn't alone when seeing the owl brought back instant memories of how much I loved him growing up with the first movie.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Also, don't forget the "clockwork" owl made a comeback last year in the new Clash of the Titans movie. It only had a 3 second cameo, but I know I wasn't alone when seeing the owl brought back instant memories of how much I loved him growing up with the first movie.

omg I LOVED that owl!!!

if the 70's are making a come back then mushrooms should be popping up like crazy soon!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 23

I remember the owls from the 70's!! When I was in about 6th grade, we were all making macrame owls that our mothers would hang in the kitchen window. icon_lol.gif And who remembers the Tootsie Roll commercial with the owl??? icon_lol.gif
The owls that are currently trendy look really cute, and they should be pretty easy to make out of fondant....maybe I'll have to try one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

A throw-back to the 70's ? icon_wink.gif

Owls were big in the 70s? icon_confused.gif Seriously? I was a teenager thru-out the 70s and I swear, no one in my crowd had any kind of fascination with owls! As evil teenagers, we definitely would have made fun of them if they did!icon_lol.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

OMG, I just went to "party city" to see what kinds of plate they have right now for the 1yr old b-day.. CareBears and I have recently noticed alot of carebear cakes. I thought they maybe where cakes for ppl like me in their mid 30's and grew up on carebears.. nope baby's 1st b-day theme. lol. wow funny!

The make that stuff with EXACTLY people like you in mind! ...and everyone else in their mid 30's who grew up on carebears, because these are the people who have the 1 year old babies. Manufacturers know they can cash in on our nostalgia for the things/toys we loved as kids. We loved Carebears as kids, so we're likely to go for the carebear invites for our baby's 1st birthday, because secretly we hope our little darlings will love all the stuff we did. It happens with a lot of kids stuff. Another example is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle merchandise...you hear nothing about it for 25-30 years, then suddenly..BAM! - it's on the toy-store shelves again - and it's all because now the original fans have started having their own kids.

Anyway, back to the owl thing, I've just made a big batch of them to use as cupcake toppers for my niece's 3rd birthday, LOL.

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:12pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

[if the 70's are making a come back then mushrooms should be popping up like crazy soon!

Actually they are! My cousin makes baby mobiles and her most popular one is mushroom themed...she also knits and sells crafts on Etsy and her knitted plush mushrooms are super popular (they are cute, but can't figure out why people would want a 'plush mushroom'- go figure)

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #18 of 23

I thought maybe the Harry Potter theme park opening affected it a bit too.
Always thought it would be cool to have one to be my own personal mail owl.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:33pm
post #19 of 23

I think it must be retro...but maybe the 60's? My mom liked owls when she was a teen/young adult and I was born in 75 so I guess late 60's/early 70's.

I have noticed a lot of retro stuff really coming "back". I even saw, in Target, some re-manufactured "retro" baby toys like I used to have as a kid! Probably six times the original cost, too!!!!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:22pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

The make that stuff with EXACTLY people like you in mind! ...and everyone else in their mid 30's who grew up on carebears, because these are the people who have the 1 year old babies. Manufacturers know they can cash in on our nostalgia for the things/toys we loved as kids. We loved Carebears as kids, so we're likely to go for the carebear invites for our baby's 1st birthday, because secretly we hope our little darlings will love all the stuff we did. It happens with a lot of kids stuff. Another example is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle merchandise...you hear nothing about it for 25-30 years, then suddenly..BAM! - it's on the toy-store shelves again - and it's all because now the original fans have started having their own kids.

Anyway, back to the owl thing, I've just made a big batch of them to use as cupcake toppers for my niece's 3rd birthday, LOL.

I love the new kid stuff that is out (Yo Gabba Gabba is the best!), but maybe b/c I only have boys so I know they are not going to be down w/ Carebears and My Little Ponies... and have to see the new my little ponies! I swear they are skinnier than they were back in the 80's and I dont think I am imagining it! That is just not right, who wants a skinny horse!

Happy to see that Thomas the Train is still Popular, My son who is 20 loved him and now my almost 3 yr old does too!

sharridee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharridee Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #21 of 23

There is a web site now where you can watch live owl camera's it started last year with a pair Molly and McGee, they had thousands of people watching, the eggs hatch through the whole fledgeling thing. now on this site there are 6 owls pairs. these people are die hard owl fans and I do have to say it is pretty cool to watch, there are other animals on these sites from all over the world. www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com thanks

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 23

ha ha, now I am watching a dang owl on cam.. just waiting to see if it does something.. what I am not sure, but something owliy I guess

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm
post #23 of 23

In august I redid my 4 year olds bedroom, painted it cute and her bedding and some wall art both have owls. Target had a bed set and other accents for an owl room. On another note I also saw a mushroom looking ottoman about a year ago, I think it was also at target!
They've remade cartoons with my little ponies, strawberry shortcake, and pound puppies ! They also make new scoobie doos but he never really went away! Speaking of remakes, anyone else see where they're remarking the Dallas series?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%