Fake Cakes

Business By AmysCakesNCandies Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 12:35am by LoveMeSomeCake615

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I apologize if this topic has come up, but I was serching and couldn't find a pertinent thread.

Lately I have had several request for fake cakes or fake layers in cakes and everyone seems to expect that because there is no cake under that elaborately decorated fondant exterior that it shouldn't cost that much. Don't get me wrong, I do charge a little less for a fake cake, but apparentlly not as much as people seem to expect.

I did a quote for a 3D baby shower cake and the lady comes back and says.. well that too high how about your just make it fake and them we can serve sheet cakes instead. When I told her that it would cost about the same as my original quote for the carved cake she was livid. I can't say I blame her because theres advice everywhere online that says you can save by requesting a fake cake.

Generally speaking the only time I recomend using fake cake to a client is when a bride wants a wedding cake display that is considerably larger than is needed to serve her guests.

The way I see it, I still have just as many hours invested in the cake whether it can be eaten or not, so the only real savings is in the cost & markup of ingredients.

Am I the only one who doesn't price fake cakes considerably cheaper than real ones, or are the people offering theese "money saving" tips crazy?

12 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 13

The only way that a person will save money with a fake cake is to rent it and return it after the wedding. A custom fake cake is usually made for a customer for about 80% of the cost of a real cake.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 13

I'm aroung 85%, so I'm not too far off base. I just don't get why so many sites with supsedly helpful tips on budget friendly weddings etc suggest fake cake.

Have you ever rented a fake cake?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 13

My business is renting fake cakes only. No real ones or slab cakes.

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 13

Those websites that advise getting fake cake tier(s) would help in lowering the cost of a wedding cake should be the ones giving them (the bride) the discount don't you think? Your time is precious and could be used for many things so why do things for free?!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:00am
post #6 of 13

IndyDebi has great advice on how to explain these misnomers to the clients.

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/fake-cakes-no-they-are-not-always.html

She always seems to know just what to say.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #7 of 13

Hold on people - all the magazines say is that it will save you money. Even 10% is technically saving you money. So - if you are charging 15-20% less for a fake cake then you are saving them money. I charge about (give or take) 20% less AND I get my fake cake back.... 20% is a lot of money. On a $500 dollar cake, that's $100 off. Even 10% is $50 off and that's still a lot of money. 10% That can be a the cost of a plated dinner. 20% can be the bride's shoes.

What the magazines don't say is you will save a LOT of money. They just say you will save. Customers read into it what they want. They read you will save - and automatically deduct half. That's their issue, not yours.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:34am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Hold on people - all the magazines say is that it will save you money. Even 10% is technically saving you money. So - if you are charging 15-20% less for a fake cake then you are saving them money. I charge about (give or take) 20% less AND I get my fake cake back.... 20% is a lot of money. On a $500 dollar cake, that's $100 off. Even 10% is $50 off and that's still a lot of money. 10% That can be a the cost of a plated dinner. 20% can be the bride's shoes.

What the magazines don't say is you will save a LOT of money. They just say you will save. Customers read into it what they want. They read you will save - and automatically deduct half. That's their issue, not yours.

But it's not really saving money if they still have to buy sheet cakes to feed their guests. Seems like it would come out to the same, if not more, than they would have spent just buying a real decorated cake.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

IndyDebi has great advice on how to explain these misnomers to the clients.

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/fake-cakes-no-they-are-not-always.html

She always seems to know just what to say.

Love that, its perfect, I'm going to add it to my list of links of recommended reading for planning your wedding I sometimes send to difficult customers.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

But it's not really saving money if they still have to buy sheet cakes to feed their guests. Seems like it would come out to the same, if not more, than they would have spent just buying a real decorated cake.

That is exactly how it came out- once I deducted the savings for the fake cake and added the price for a sheet cake to serve it would have actually been more costly.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #11 of 13

My total price after it is all said and done is 10-20% below, including the sheets. I get the dummies back which is a huge savings in itself. I don't know why it is costing others more. I end up making the same profit dollar amount (within 20 bucks) either way.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:24am
post #12 of 13

I just tell people not to believe anything they read in wedding magazines, They're dress catalogs with filler articles in between the ads. And the articles are written by people who have never baked a cake, taken wedding photos, dj'ed an event or arranged flowers in their lives, so how would they know how to save money on any of it?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:35am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I just tell people not to believe anything they read in wedding magazines, They're dress catalogs with filler articles in between the ads. And the articles are written by people who have never baked a cake, taken wedding photos, dj'ed an event or arranged flowers in their lives, so how would they know how to save money on any of it?

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%