Need Help With Rolling Fondant

Decorating By dvessels Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 5:24am by sugardugar

dvessels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvessels Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone, Yesterday I covered a square cake with fondant. The cake was about 3 " tall and 8" wide, so it wasn't terribly large. My fondant was a great consistency; not too sticky, smooth and elastic. The tutorials make it look so easy to roll out the fondant. My husband had to roll it for me; I didn't have the strength! Now, he is strong, but it took him a great amount of strength to get it rolled out large enough and even then it was really took thick although it ended up all right on the cake. I can't imagine having to roll out a large enough piece for a large cake! Oh, and yes, I do have the large roller and mat from wilton. I know the professionals use those big sheet rollers; wow, how I wished I had one available yesterday! I am just a hobbyist, but people are beginning to ask me to make cakes for them; help! icon_eek.gif

7 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 8

I usually knead mine a good bit to loosen it up and make it more elastic before I try to roll it out. If you just took it straight from the package and started rolling, I imagine it would have been really stiff and pretty difficult to work with.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

The first few cakes I made (after the one I made in class) I forgot to roll out the fondant and it was really hard and took forever to do but i as ramie7224 said if you knead it really well it will be much easier to work with. Some people even put theirs in the microwave for a few seconds to help warm it up and easier to work with. HTH

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 8

Yep, I put mine in the mocrowave for a few seconds, and that really hepls. Also, if it gets too tough to roll it out, try it from a different angle. I don't know why, but that helps me. HTH

Karen

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 8

Ditto on the microwaving and kneading until elastic and soft.

Another tip.. use a regular ol' rolling pin with handles. I bought the Wilton silicone (white) rolling pin with those thickness rings and it was soo hard to roll out the fondant. I've only used that for 1 cake.

Right now I use a cheapo walmart wood rolling pin and it works loads better. The fact it can roll freely allows me more leverage. I'm actually looking to buy a nicer rolling pin that's heavier and non-stick to upgrade but I'm in no rush.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that a zap in the microwave of just a few seconds softens up the fondant to make is sooooo much easier to roll. Also I always use my trusty old wooden rolling pin with handles. Much easier than the "fondant" rolling pins like Wilton, etc.

dvessels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvessels Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I agree about the rolling pin and loved that you gave me that tip. After I posted my question, I viewed a tutorial video. The gal used a regular rolling pin and wow, I could tell it would work much better to be able to grip something while the middle roles; probably good ol physics! Thanks again!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:24am
post #8 of 8

when i use pre-made fondant i find the key is to the pre-kneading. i knead small pieces at a time with a little lard.
hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%