My Baked Sugar Cookies Are Very Hard

Baking By Laurag7589 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm by chilz822

Laurag7589 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurag7589 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:21am
post #1 of 7

When I baked my sugar cookies it seems like they were good but then I ate a few of them and they are really really hard. I want to know what can I do to put the sugar cookies that I already baked put softer because I really need them.

Thanks

6 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 7

Use less sugar and bake for a slightly shorter time

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:03am
post #3 of 7

Also, for the future, roll them thicker and with no flour added during the rolling (roll between wax or parchment paper). I'm not aware of any way to "soften" those you've already baked . . . although now as I think of it, if you frost it with buttercream (rather than glaze or royal icing), the frosting might soften the cookie if it sits on top long enough.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 7

I suppose you could try brushing them with a simple syrup. What are you using to decorate them? Are the cookies burnt or just hard?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #5 of 7

I made a batch for a friend and was worried because they were harder than normal. After adding the icing and after they sat overnight, they softened. So I learned not to judge them by same-day baking. Its like the icing soaks into them and softens them a bit.

I also am sure to take them out of the oven right before the edges start to brown. If I have even a hint of brown edges, then I baked them too long.

catherinejanuary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catherinejanuary Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:24am
post #6 of 7

I'm not sure that you can do much about your already baked cookies, but, as someone else has said, icing can make them softer if you let them sit for a while. I use the glaze/icing made with milk, vanilla, corn syrup and powdered sugar and it makes my large decorated sugar cookies really delicious after a day or two.

One thing: this board seems to really like the NFSC recipe, but I don't! (No offense.) I tried it and while it held its shape nicely, I didn't like the taste at all-- way too sweet and bland. I use the cream cheese sugar cookie recipe here:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cream-cheese-sugar-cookies/Detail.aspx

and it stays much softer than the NFSC recipe. And with some orange zest in it...hmmmm....so wonderful. I chill the dough before rolling out and after, if it is a warm day, and they keep their shape. Don't forget to roll them thick for a softer cookie.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 7

@catherinejanuary, that's my go-to recipe also! It's DELISH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%