So Irritated, The Nerve Of Some People!

Business By karateka Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 12:26am by Foxicakes

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 25

I get a call last night. lady left a voicemail asking me to call her about doing a cake for her. I didn't call her back that evening since I had just spent about 30 minutes cleaning up vomit at the dojo and was kind of undone....needed a drink and a bath!

Anywho, I was just finishing eating when she called back (next morning). I let it go to VM again since I had my mouth full, and was going to call her back in like 1 minute. Then the phone rings again, and it's her AGAIN. I answer and she tells me she needs a guitar cake out of fondant, do I do that? I respond that I do, and she tells me it is for 10-12 people max. I respond that I can't do it for that few, it would be closer to 30 servings. She asks how much it would be, and I say that since it is a flat cake, I would do it for the regular fondant price of $3.25 per serving instead of the normal 3D charge of $5 per serving. She gets upset, tells me that's too much, and asks for a "regular" cake with a guitar on it. I tell her it would be a quarter sheet and that's about 24 servings, so about $75, since there is detail in the design. She tells me that's way too expensive and she'd have way too much cake so she doesn't want to spend that. I ask her what her budget is, and she tells me that you can buy quarter sheet cakes for "like $25". I tell her straight up that she could go to Costco or Wal-Mart for those prices.

She proceeds to tell me that her son likes "Cake Boss" and Costco and Wal-Mart don't do those types of cakes......do I know anybody who would? I respond that I don't know any custom cake shops that would do it for that price. She gets pushy, so I tell her someone she can call, and whaddya know?? She's already called them. (I mentioned her because I knew damn well this wonderful lady wouldn't do it for that price).

She proceeds to push me about who would do this wonderful cake for a pittance of a budget and I tell her I can't help her, whereupon she hangs up pissed.

I mean really. Tell me you don't want to pay me to do a custom job, then push me to recommend my competition? What a wench.

I can't believe that I refrained from telling her that if they were such "Cake Boss" fans, she'd have an idea what he charges for custom cakes!

24 replies
Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 25

It would be nice if those shows told how much they charge so people would understand just how much a custom cake really cost. People also need to be aware that they don't just start a cake and finish it in the 30 mins that the show is on. There is a lot that doesn't show up on the tv!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 25

Yeesh, I hate it when people respond like that! If you can't afford it, fine, but don't try to tell me I am wrong for charging what I do!!! Just say, "oh ok, well I can't spend that much, thank you anyway". How hard is that???

Sorry you had to deal with that!

BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I can't believe that I refrained from telling her that if they were such "Cake Boss" fans, she'd have an idea what he charges for custom cakes!

I so wish you had told her that!!! icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 25

There's so much "duh" in the world...

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:48am
post #6 of 25

At least once a day I have a customer walk into my shop and ask if I watch cake boss.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 25

I just had an old coworker tell me she would rather give the money to me instead of the grocery store for a cake. I told her that my cakes and prices are not grocery store and she proceeds to tell me she is just looking for a 9" purple cake with purple icing and a great deal of a price. She then says she wants a "sista discount". I told her that the smallest cake I do as a single tier is a 10" and it starts at $52.50.

All I heard was, "that's an expensive a@@ cake, I will have to talk to my husband to see if he wants to spend that kind of money". Of course I knew when she called back what she was going to say.

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:53am
post #8 of 25

Would'nt a slap in the face be the same as degrading ones quality of work in comparison to a grocery store ?
These people truley need to learn some manners,the less they say the better....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioCranberry

I just had an old coworker tell me she would rather give the money to me instead of the grocery store for a cake. I told her that my cakes and prices are not grocery store and she proceeds to tell me she is just looking for a 9" purple cake with purple icing and a great deal of a price. She then says she wants a "sista discount". I told her that the smallest cake I do as a single tier is a 10" and it starts at $52.50.

All I heard was, "that's an expensive a@@ cake, I will have to talk to my husband to see if he wants to spend that kind of money". Of course I knew when she called back what she was going to say.

I'd tell her that a "sista" wouldn't try to nickel and dime another "sista" and that your prices are your prices. I love how people seem to think that friendship extends only in their direction in the form of a discount, not in your direction in the form of paying you what you're worth...

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 25

The funny thing is she made your point for you when she said that Costco doesn't make cakes like on Cake Boss. If she would have just stopped and thought about it for a second she may have realized thats why they are cheap!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 25

Them: "Oh I just LUV that show Ace of Cakes!"
Me: "Oh me too!" (drops voice to a conspiratorial whisper) Did you know ...... ? That his cakes START at $1000? And I'll guarantee you that the cakes you see on his show are nowhere NEAR a lousy thousand dollar cake! The good news is that I'm not QUITE that expensive! Now .... what were you looking for today?"

Believe me .... it gets the point across! icon_twisted.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 25

Karateka ~ Indeed you were polite, but sometimes we have to cut a conversation short especially when it starts heading in the "I'm wasting my time" direction!

SEPARATE FROM THIS TOPIC ~ One valuable piece of information I learned from reading around on this site is that a lot of the decorators "set a base price" and they won't even go TOWARD the kitchen if their base price is not met. Doing that has saved me a lot of "NOT" filling orders for 4,5,6, etc. servings. And it's not that I feel I am above doing those, it's the client does not agree to the base price on account of feeling "that's too expensive!"

I use to try to accommodate EVERY CLIENT, and it drove me nuts!

** Debi, I love what you wrote!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 25

I hate when people do that! A couple of weeks ago, I had someone call me on a Saturday evening, and they wanted a double layer 12x18 sheet cake with gourmet filling etc, for the next day with a theme design etc. I told them the price ($100) and they were like no no, that's too much. I told them I'm sorry that's my base for that size cake, and that didn't include a rush fee considering it was less than 24 hours notice. Needless to say they never ordered the cake. My prices are definitely fair compared to other bakers and mid-high end bakeries on island so I refuse to go any lower. I'm seriously thinking about establishing the "base price" soon though...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrea

It would be nice if those shows told how much they charge so people would understand just how much a custom cake really cost. People also need to be aware that they don't just start a cake and finish it in the 30 mins that the show is on. There is a lot that doesn't show up on the tv!

That's why I like TLC's show, "Fabulous Cakes"! They do tell the prices of the cakes on there! The lowest priced cake that I remember seeing on there was $2,000! And there have been some that have been up around $6,000 and $7,000.

I'm loving it! Now, if only all the other shows put their prices on there!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalvin

Would'nt a slap in the face be the same as degrading ones quality of work in comparison to a grocery store ?

Amen!

Quote:

It would be nice if those shows told how much they charge so people would understand just how much a custom cake really cost.

YESS!! can i get another A-MEN!! lol

sorry not trying to sound religious- just.. cake-ritious! icon_smile.gif (richeous?) however its spelled lol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalvin

Amen!

Quote:

It would be nice if those shows told how much they charge so people would understand just how much a custom cake really cost.

YESS!! can i get another A-MEN!! lol

sorry not trying to sound religious- just.. cake-ritious! icon_smile.gif (richeous?) however its spelled lol

I'll help you out - righteous!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:15am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

That's why I like TLC's show, "Fabulous Cakes"! They do tell the prices of the cakes on there! The lowest priced cake that I remember seeing on there was $2,000! And there have been some that have been up around $6,000 and $7,000.

I'm loving it! Now, if only all the other shows put their prices on there!

I like that show for the same reason as well!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #18 of 25

You should of asked her if she worked. And if she replied Yes, ask her if she works for less than $3 an hour. And if she said No, tell her "well neither do I!!"

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:10am
post #19 of 25

I like that one, weirdkd!icon_smile.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #20 of 25

I think people believe we just make cakes for a living, but don't want to make a living from decorating cakes. It never crosses their mind that minimum wage in the states is $7.25/hr in the states and most people want to get paid more than that, so why wouldn't we?

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 25

About 3 months ago, my mother felt the need to tell me that "cake decorating is a hobby, not a livelihood."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:23pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

About 3 months ago, my mother felt the need to tell me that "cake decorating is a hobby, not a livelihood."

"Mom, meet Collette Peters, Sylvia Weinstock, Norm Davis, Duff Goldman, and so on and so on and so on ......"

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:38pm
post #23 of 25

What was even funnier was that my mother came to visit me 2 weeks later and became addicted to my cake balls. Then, she wanted me to teach her how to make them and give her my cake recipes so that she can do them as a side job once she returned home!!! The nerve of some people. I told her she was out of her mind and to get her own hobby, at which time she told me that I should be happy that she has found a way to make money on the side."

I really hope that this apparent mental illness isn't genetic. I don't want to lose my mind when I'm her age.

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:19am
post #24 of 25

Hi guys! I love this post, and I recently posted a kind of relevant one I wanted to share with you icon_smile.gif. Sometimes I am unsure about what to charge for a particular design, and am very curious to know how much someone else would charge or has charged for a similar cake. I love the pricing guides here, but would LOVE to see some of your real cakes and know how much you've charged for them, since complexity is a big factor in pricing.
I often feel "bad" for charging someone a price that may sound high, although I really shouldn't because they usually take me much longer than I anticipated! lol. I guess being a newbie, I am not sure how long a new design will take me. Indydebi, I read your post on another discussion and your analogy about having a "right" to buy an Escalade was hilarious! icon_smile.gif But, so true!! I have definitely started charging more and have stopped backing down when people ask for a lower price. If they want a lower price, they should ask for a simpler design.
It would be great to see comparable cakes and what they've sold for, for confirmation of my pricing, and also for a guide in pricing future cakes, say if someone asks me for a car cake and I can look up a few here to see the average cost.
I tried finding this info online, and it is very hard! Sucrea mentioned the show Fabulous Cakes, and how they disclose prices, and I really love that about that show too!
Well, thanks for reading, and hopefully we can get this started. My post is called "Cake pics with prices" and I will start posting my pics tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:26am
post #25 of 25

cupcakefrost. there was a post a few weeks ago and a lot of the members actually went into their previous photos and edited the description to include how large the cakes were and what they charged. So I guess its true that "Great minds think alike!" icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%