Cake Cooling Issues... Help!

Decorating By LaniLee Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 2:04am by melissad

LaniLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaniLee Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 3

Ok. I am TOTALLY new at this whole thing. I've done cupcakes for a couple years, but now I have kids and want to tackle thier birthday cakes! icon_wink.gif

I made a 12x12 square the other day, and had to use two cooling racks next to each other to cool it. First off - it was a disaster trying to transfer the cake (already cooled approx 10m in the pan) from the pan to the racks. Didn't do it fast enough, the cake slid down in the pan, and about 3" broke off along the entire edge. thumbsdown.gif I was none too happy... anyway, is there a large cooling rack available for these over sized cakes? Are there secrets to cooling, transferring to rack, then transferring to cake board?

Like I said, I'm about as green as they come, so am open to any and all suggestions, information, recommendations, and slaps on the wrist that you can give me!!!

2 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 3

My cooling racks are about 10 X 17 and I use two of them.

Take one cooling rack and position it upside down over the top of the cake/pan.
Grab it all together and flip it over.
Then lift off the pan.
Then I take the other rack, put it up side down over the cake again and flip it over again so that the top is back up.

Does that make sense?

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 3

I use the same process as flamingobaker, but I do have a set of larger cooling racks for bigger cakes. If you can't find them locally, search online and you should find some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%