I Need A Recipe To Use With The Cricut Cake Instead Of The

Baking By miasuzzette Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm by cake_architect

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 11

icon_sad.gif I'm looking for a recipe to use with The Mini Cricut Cake. Instead of using the Gumpaste sheet they sell. Thank you for looking and responding. Your help is appreciate... thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 11

I use Satin Ice fondant rolled thin. I have seen others make their own gumpaste using Nicholas Lodges recipe. You can also purchase pre-made gumpaste from multiple manufacturers.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 11

I use MMF with Tylose added to it, rolled very, very thin. It works fine for me.

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:59am
post #4 of 11

Can you give me a MMF (Marsh-mellow fondant recipe? I am having nothing but disastrous results with the ready made frosting sheets for the Cricut machine. Thanks in advance. Tarina-rina

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:18am
post #5 of 11

Hi....You will find the recipe here on CC under Recipes. Good Luck!

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:18am
post #6 of 11

This is the recipe that I use. It's very simple and easy to make. I have had very good results with it.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1949/marshmallow-fondant-mmf

The recipe calls for 16 oz marshmallows, but I use a 10 oz bag, and don't quite use up the whole 2 lbs of powdered sugar. Take a few minutes to read through the comments. I have made it dozens of times, and I have answered some questions there.

Tarina-rina Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:20am
post #7 of 11

Is there an option to using the Circuit frosting sheets? They work as soon as you take one out of the package if you put an extra space between each letter or design but when you try the next sheet no matter how quickly you close it and no matter how hard you press to seal the sheets just crack into a million pieces. Has anyone used hand rolled fondant. I am afraid to try as it may not be thin enough and get all stuck in the machine. It is a very tricky machine and it seems I don't know all the tricks or something. I feel maybe I wasted a whole lot of money. I have cricut expression also for scrap booking and it is wonderful. But the one for cakes .... I need help> Anyone out there ... can you help me? thanks in advance Sad

Tarina-rina Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:44am
post #8 of 11

Thanks Soph917 and Judy. I will make the Marshmallow Fondant next week! I have another question. Can you tell me what works best under fondant on a cake beside the standard butter-cream? I like whipped type icing as we like fresh strawberries. My fear is using something that may be too moist under the fondant. Everyone loves my strawberry "whipped cream" cakes but now I am more interested in the look of fondants and rather have that effect. What I used in the past is a non dairy whipped icing that comes in the freezer section at 'Smart and Final'. I am on the West coast. I know a lot of bakeries use it here and you can't tell it is not real whipped cream and yet it does not fall and does not need a stabilizer. It is not really that expensive although I do think it cost more than heavy cream, but I would hate to waste fondant. which is expensive to purchase unless you get Wilton which is just terrible and making your own is time consuming so I would hate to put something under it that will not work. Any suggestions. I hope I have not confused you with this long question but I can't figure a shorter way to ask you what is the best icing should I use to crumb my cake prior to using fondant? TIA Tarina-rina

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarina-rina

Is there an option to using the Circuit frosting sheets? They work as soon as you take one out of the package if you put an extra space between each letter or design but when you try the next sheet no matter how quickly you close it and no matter how hard you press to seal the sheets just crack into a million pieces. Has anyone used hand rolled fondant. I am afraid to try as it may not be thin enough and get all stuck in the machine. It is a very tricky machine and it seems I don't know all the tricks or something. I feel maybe I wasted a whole lot of money. I have expression also for scrap booking and it is wonderful. But the one for cakes .... I need help> Anyone out there ... can you help me? thanks in advance Sad

If you read my post above i do state that i use Satin Ice fondant. I have tried the frosting sheets (a month or so after i had already been using fondant) and threw them all out. I couldn't get them to stay on the mat no matter what i did. I roll out the fondant so i can see the lines on the mat through it and then let it sit anywhere form 10-30 minutes depending on how dry the air is in our hosue. You need it firmed up so it cuts better.

HTH

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 11

I have a cricut cake and use wilton fondant. There is no place to buy satin ice where i live, but the wilton is readily available at walmart and works wonderfully. I doesn't taste very good, and it's expensive so I cover my cakes with MMF and then make the decorations with wilton fondant cut with my cricut. Hope that helps!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 11

i agree, satin ice works really well! i do let it either sit out on the counter or it goes into the freezer for about 10 minutes if i'm in a hurry =D BUT my all time favorite thing to use in the cricut is Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe! i talk about it all the time in forums simply because i've had the best results with it (no sitting out or freezing, simply roll thin and cut!). here's a link to the recipe:

remove X to follow link icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.sugarXcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%