A Strange Request...help?

Decorating By cakelover613 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:26pm by simplysouthern

cakelover613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover613 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! So I post all of my pictures of my cakes to an online photo album to share with friends and family. Today I recieved a request from a friend I haven't seen in a long time for some cakes. The problem is, she lives in Wyoming. I live in Minnesota. She's asking if there's any way at all I can ship cakes to her, because she loved my General Lee cake and wants one for her husband. I have NO idea and frankly the thought of shipping a cake scares the crap out of me. I work hard on these cakes! I can just imagine what will happen, especially having seen boxes that have been shipped... But since I'm the type of person who feels bad saying no, especially to friends and family, I said I'd see if there was a way. Has anyone ever shipped a cake? Is there even a possibility of it making it there? If so what method do I use? She is willing to pay to ship the cake..though I imagine it MUST be cheaper to find someone in Wyoming who can make a cake like it? Thanks!

6 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 7

From what I understand to ship a cake properly. You have to go thru a service that ships food...refrigerated trucks. You can do it but it is a ridiculous price! It cost more to ship than for the cake. Now I had a cake friend ship thru FED EX..and when it got there..it was a horrible mess! If I were you i would just say no ad be done with it.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

How funny. I live in Wyoming and got a request in Minnesota a few months ago! I would be terrified to ship a cake. I have shipped cake bites to MN to a family member and they arrived just fine but it is pretty easy to package those securely. Isn't it a nice compliment to get such a request though?

cakelover613 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

It sure was a nice compliment. To think someone would be willing to ship my cake that far lol! Well I will have to let her know I think she should try to find someone around there to do her cake, thanks so much!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 7

Well, as flattering as it is, it sounds like something I would not want to do!

Anyway you could do a shout out on here to see if someone lives closer who could do the cake in your place? That way, at least you could give her a referral.

cakelover613 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

Yes I definitely do not want to do it. That's a great idea though! I asked her if she would like a referral to other bakers from my cake decorating forums, and waiting for reply, I will still post the shoutout to see how many are around her area THANK YOU!

Why didn't I think of that? lol.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 7

Maybe just explain to her how amazed you are by the.offer bit shipping a cake is just too risky using std methods and too pricey to use a specialized company. Tell her you'll be happy to help find someone to make that cake for her that's closer to her icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%