Hhhelllppp!!! Bow Disaster!

Decorating By Bettyviolet101 Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm by Bettyviolet101

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,
I was putting together a bow and it did NOT work. I have done a few but this one just didn't work. I did what the wilton book said and made the strips, glued the ends together, and let them dry on their sides. Then I tried to put it together but it looked like junk. I need as many bow tips as possible!! Thanks!
Whitney

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 9

You don't address what kind of problems you are having, but check out this video tutorial for some help.

I always use gumpaste - fondant does not hold up in the humidity here - and I roll the gumpaste fairly thin. Please let us know what went wrong and maybe we can help more.

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 9

edna has a great youtube vid on the simple bow. hope this helps!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 9

That's a great tutorial!

I remember using another tutorial on here when I tried to make my first bow like that... it invovled hanging the loops on a verticle broom handle to help them keep their shape. But the way this shows is fine with me.

I have to agree... if you're using fondant with no Tylose mixed in (to make it harden) or not using gumpaste, that might be causing the issue... non-stiff loops. Is that the issue?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 9

Please look at the instructions in my sig below. Hope this helps!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 9

what are you using as glue to assemble the bow? Once my loops have dried I used melted chocolate/ candy melts to assemble. I use straight fondant for my bows and as long as you allow them to try they turn out just fine.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

SOrry guys I guess that would have helped to tell you what went wrong! Well first off my 3 year old daughter told me my bow died so that was my first hint I wasn't doing very good. lol! Anyways Yeah it did fall apart so the fondant with no tylose is the problem. I let the loops dry overnight and this morning tried to stack the loops together to make the bow and one broke into pieces and the rest just looked tacky. Thank you for all the info already that really helps! Can you guys tell me how you guys do your bows? Thank you for all your responses! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 9

Rolling the fondant/gumpaste thin makes them look more realistic. I use a loopy bow dryer (in my pics!) LOVE that gadget. If you use candy melts to glue the pieces together be careful if it is hot weather - the heat will make the candy melt and the bow won't hold.

I like using 50/50 fondant and gumpaste.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 9

Oh yeah and 1 more thing. I was making a multi loop bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%