What Is This Technique Called?

Decorating By thecakenerd Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 2:40am by thecakenerd

thecakenerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakenerd Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I have a bride who ordered a cake from me last night to feed 200 people. I'm nervous because it's my first wedding cake, and she doesn't care that it is. She wants a simple stacked cake with the buttercream...how do I say this?...she wants the buttercream to look "hairy". Those were her words not mine. I tried to help her find the proper words and came up with, "you mean you want the buttercream to look like it's been spanked by the spatula and pulls out a bit from the cake?"

Now, "hairy" and "spanked" are not the words that should describe any cake. Is there a name for this technique and is it as simple as tapping the cake with the spatula to achieve this effect?

Any help is so very appreciated from all you cake experts!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

LOL! I love it!

I think it's more in the "homestyle" genre. If you go to the gallery and search homestyle then you should find some examples of cakes that fit that description.

I know exactly what you are referring to, and I think you have a good idea on how to do it. I would do a small test on a dummy and take a pic and send it to her to make sure that's the look she's going for.

Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 5

I love homestyle iced cakes! I guess because they're easy haha but they also look pretty, esp with some fresh flowers.

Especially iced with swirls.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 5

Peaked icing, like meringue?

thecakenerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakenerd Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #5 of 5

"Homestyle". Got it! I'll look there. Thanks a bunch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%