Is My Cake Schedule Ok???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 10:27am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Cakers!

I have a cake due next week. Juggling work and a 4 year old can be tricky! =)
Would you please take a look at my cake schedule and let me know what you think?

Bake Cake Wednesday night about 7:00 pm
Fill the Cake Wednesday night once cooled and wrap in food safe/grade plastic
Ice the cake Thursday night about 7:00pm
Decorate the cake Friday night about 7:00 pm
Party is 3:00 pm Saturday afternoon

I "think" I have done this schedule before, but it was been awhile. No problems that I can recall. This is a Yellow boxed cake with BC icing and filling. I DO NOT freeze cakes anymore. That is another loooong story.

TIA!!!

Michael

12 replies
vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 13

You're talking about giving someone an already 4 day old cake. I'd never do that.

I would bake it anytime. After it's cooled completely, I'd fill if torteing (I only use buttercream just because no one has ever asked for anything else) and then wrap it several times in plastic wrap, then foil, then in a plastic bag and freeze it on something like a cookie sheet to keep it from bending while freezing. I try to freeze them right onto the plastic separator plate I'll be using.

I'd let it thaw out still wrapped in the first layer of plastic, Friday all day. Frost and decorate Friday night.

I've never had any problems with cakes that have been frozen. I'd rather do it this way than serve 4 day old cake.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 13

I would bake on friday then fill, ice and decorate on Sat. morning. I think you may be dragging it out a biit.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

I would bake on friday then fill, ice and decorate on Sat. morning. I think you may be dragging it out a biit.

I really try not to wait to the day of delivery to ice and decorate a cake.

Could you maybe bake the cake on Thursday, then ice and decorate on Friday? That way, if something goes wrong, you still have time on Saturday to fix it.

Mikel79 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

You're talking about giving someone an already 4 day old cake. I'd never do that.

Thank you for the comment.

Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon is actually 2 1/2 days. Where is the 4 days coming from?

Thank you again,

Michael

Mikel79 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

I really try not to wait to the day of delivery to ice and decorate a cake.

Could you maybe bake the cake on Thursday, then ice and decorate on Friday? That way, if something goes wrong, you still have time on Saturday to fix it.

I agree with not icing and decorating on the same day. I have done that before and was waaaaay over my head. It takes me forever to ice a cake, just becuase I am way to much of a perfectionist. (spelling??)

However, for this cake, I might have to do it...

Thanks,
Michael

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:25am
post #7 of 13

I agree with not icing and decorating on the same day. I have done that before and was waaaaay over my head. It takes me forever to ice a cake, just becuase I am way to much of a perfectionist. (spelling??)

However, for this cake, I might have to do it...

Thanks,
Michael[/quote]

Either do that or put a pot of coffee on for a very late night on Friday. icon_smile.gif
You'll be just fine. Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:45am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon is actually 2 1/2 days.

There's nothing wrong with 2 1/2 day old cake... some cakes taste best on day 4 or 5!

I'd say it depends on how difficult the design is, how big the cake is, how much experience you have, and how quick you are, so you're probably the only one that knows the approximate timeline that you need to allow to fit it into your schedule. (i.e. a 1/4 sheet cake with a detailed drawing, a 3D sculpted/carved cake, a 3-tiered party cake--and it's your first attempt or it's the first time trying a technique.) Good luck!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #9 of 13

i have done it tons of time with doctored mixes ( can't speak to scratch ones) and they are wonderful for days afterwards too!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:10am
post #10 of 13

Michael, I think your schedule is fine. Looks a lot like what I do and I've NEVER had a cake dry out and in fact, have never had a complaint!

Jennifer4239 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer4239 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:32am
post #11 of 13

I have a cake needed Sunday afternoon. It's Friday night so I will make my icing and fondant and color it. I will get everything ready for the cake to be decorated. Tomorrow I will bake the cake then tomorrow night decorate it. It won't take me as long b/c I will have everything ready to put on the cake. I have 3 boys, ages 4, 2 & 1. So I completely understand the time thing. I do just about everything, except bake when they are in bed. icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:46am
post #12 of 13

I always bake on Wednesday, fill and frost on Thursday, fondant and decorate on Friday, delivery on saturday, never a problem

Mikel79 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:27am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

i have done it tons of time with doctored mixes ( can't speak to scratch ones) and they are wonderful for days afterwards too!

Thanks Sharon!!!! You my friend have helped me with my cakes beyond what words can describe!!!! Your word is GOLD to me, if it is ok with you, it is ok with me!!! =)

I do appreciate everyone else who has replied back to me as well. This makes me feel a lot better about the time line!!!

Thanks again fellow Cakers!!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%