Gettingbusiness Started In Va

Business By yanci Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 2:12pm by mrsbriggs06

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

Im in the process of making my home based business legal in the state of VA. I was wondering if someone has gone through the process and can share some knowledge. Im in the city of Alexandria. I already filled the Business regiatration with the state and completed my Assumed Name form. I know now im supposed to apply for a business license but Im not sure about the process for a Home Based business. Also if anyone has some vendor contacts for bulk ingredients that would be great! Any insight will be much appreciated!!! Thanks!!

5 replies
Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there icon_smile.gif I've been legal for approximately a year in VA.

Have you contacted VDACS yet? This is the department through Virginia Dept. of Health to get your home kitchen inspected and certified. You will need to get all of the paperwork to fill out your recipes, kitchen diagram, etc. www.vdacs.virginia.gov

I get a lot of ingredients at Costco and order most things online at GSA, Sugarcraft and Country Kitchen SweetArt.

yanci Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Becky,

I already contacted the Health Department and Have all the paperwork to send in but before I do that I was told I need Zoning approval... are you familiar wiht this? Thanks so much for your helpo! I just moved to VA 2 months ago and Im so lost!!!

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I had to fill out a zoning approval online - it took less than a week or so. The woman I spoke to at our county office told me to check in a few days later, and also I let them know I wouldn't have people coming to my house to pickup. She told me that would make things a bit quicker, which was not a big deal to me. I live on a mountain, so I deliver or meet up with all of my clients.

Sounds like you are doing all you need! Send me a private message and I will give you my email if you need, or if it's easier!

yanci Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6

Well... I was able to contact the Inspector in my area for the health department and it turns out that not having a double sink is a deal breaker. Since I rent Im unable to chnage my sink! If there is any one out there that know of a incubator or a inexpensive kitchen I could rent please let me know! Thansk!

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 6

Virginia has a cottage food law, you may want to look into baking under that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%