Need Your Help Designing A Cake

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm by cakegirl418

SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have agreed to do a Juke Box cake for a client in 2 weeks and I need to come up with a design. She wanted it modeled after Rock Ola juke box, a picture for which I have attached.

It's not like other jukebox cakes I've seen, it's more complicated. How would I do the ripples that go along the front and the top part? How would I get the rainbow color effect? Do I make it a 3D model of the jukebox? If so, how on early do I do the glass top? If I lay it down and do a 2D model, how do I do the top. icon_smile.gif It's tricky for me. icon_smile.gif

I don't want to do go too crazy with, nor does the client want me to. BUt I would still like to impress.

Any suggestions? THANKS I appreciate it!!!!!

6 replies
SeptBabyMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeptBabyMom Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

I am having difficulty attaching a picture, maybe this will work...

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 7

Umm I don't see a picture

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7

The attachment feature isn't working properly right now. You can post a link, though. icon_smile.gif

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 7

if it matters, it's actually 'rock-ola.' icon_smile.gif i guess the question should be do you *want* to make a 3-D model of it? that would be awesome if you can pull it off. the 'glass' can be sugar and colours airbrushed or painted on? or just painted onto the surface of the fondant (?). those are my best, uneducated guesses. (when i get into doing these things professionally, i'll want to do a juke box and slot machine.)

personally, i think just painting the colours on will suffice. i don't know if you can beat the sheen of the sugar, but that might be a difficult mold to make. imo, a 3-D will impress without pulling out all the ridiculous stops, assuming it's done really well otherwise.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7

I have one that I did for my best friend's Dad. It's in my photos.... I made it from a loaf pan.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

cakegirl418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl418 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 7

off the top of my head u could do like fondant in bright rainbow colors, or even using piping gel to get that sheen. for the glass i would say use like isomalt and u could just pour it out into molds. and then glue together if ur doing 3-D. for 2-D, just again ice it white and then add the clear piping gel over the top for the sheen..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%