Tips On Keeping Cake Cool

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm by noahsmummy

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:53am
post #1 of 4

im a little bit stressed.

Im doing a cake for a friend, its due for pickup on friday. I believe the event is on Saturday night.

My stress is the weather. The cake fillings and crumb coat will be essentially non perishable (ganche and jam and mock cream).

however, i just checked the forecast as we are in the middle of a bit of a heat wave atm.

Saturday is forecast to be 38 degrees C, yesterday was forecast to reach 37, instead it got to 44 (111 farenheit).

im freaking out that everything is going to melt and the cake will collapse seeing as yesterday all the cooking chocolate melted just sitting in the cupboard! ive made the ganache as firm as possible and am going to keep it in my fridge until pickup (thank gosh its the end of pay week and my fridge is empty so i can take out a shelf to fit it!!). However my friend only has a bar fridge, certainly not enough room to keep the cake in. and im also worried about the condensation the cake will get coming out of the fridge as well... =S humidity is meant to be at 80% as welll.

ahhhh i dont do perishable fillings for this reason exactly! any tips will be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:15am
post #2 of 4

could your friend just pick up the cake on saturday on the way to the event? or possibly just a few hours earlier on the day of the event? this way the cake can stay cold and under your supervision right up until its needed. or maybe you could deliver?

i'm not sure of any other way to keep everything from melting =/

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:20am
post #3 of 4

That is a tough one.
What about a large ice chest/cooler with some cold packs? You could even put it on it's side, so it's taller. How big is the cake?

Hopefully someone will have a brilliant idea.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 4

thanks guys! i managed to talk my friend out of the mock cream, as that would be the first to, so it will all be ganache now, also have arranged for a saturday morning pickup. phew. im still stressed about this cake.. but im hoping for the best!

apparently we are in the middle of the hottest week in history! crazy. i guess it doesnt help me hating summer and heat and all.. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%