Has Anyone Used Fondant Pearl Molds???....

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm by FromScratchSF

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:39am
post #1 of 9

Hi Cakers!

I have several pearl molds. Used them several times. Love them!! My question is about using them as borders on a round cake. I have a cake to due in a couple of weeks and want to use "String" of pearls as my borders for both the top and bottom edging.

The bottom part I am not worried about. I can push the excess fondant on the pearls in the cake slightly. I am wondering how would I attach the pearls to the top edging, WITHOUT the excess fondant showing???

This will be a 8" round cake iced in buttercream.

Suggestions??

Thank you!
Michael

8 replies
kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 9

This is a link to a wedding cake I made with fondant pearl swags. I used the mold for these and had no problem with the excess fondant from the mold. Just make sure to clean as much excess from the mold and turn the seam to the back (or down) as much as possible.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1808211

Mikel79 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbm04r

This is a link to a wedding cake I made with fondant pearl swags. I used the mold for these and had no problem with the excess fondant from the mold. Just make sure to clean as much excess from the mold and turn the seam to the back (or down) as much as possible.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1808211

Great job! Is the cake iced in BC or covered in fondant?

Michael

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:00am
post #4 of 9

Edna has a great tutorial on how to use these molds on You Tube, check out how she cleans the back of the mold and gets the excess off.

Mary0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary0321 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:06am
post #5 of 9

go to design me a cake.. website.. edna's,, she has a tutorial.. I watched it and now my pearls are perfect.. NO excess. you scrape that excess off.. and just pearls come out.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #6 of 9

When you take the pearls from the mold, then use your pizza cutter and cut some of that edge off. Apply to your top edge and it will do great. After dropping the pearls from the mold and cutting some of the edge(it probably wouldn,t show even if you didn,t cut some of the edge.) let the string of pearls set for just a minute or 2 and the put on the top edge. hth At least that is what i would do and have done.

Mikel79 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I will check out Edna on Youtube.

Thanks again!

Michael

Paisly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paisly Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

Hi I just bought the pearl mold and am waiting for it in the mail. I have never used these molds before and have a question too. I know when I make other fondant/gum paste decorations I let them dry for a week or two. I am assuming you don't with the string of pearls because you would not be able to pick them up and attach them to a round cake they would break wouldn't they?
Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisly

Hi I just bought the pearl mold and am waiting for it in the mail. I have never used these molds before and have a question too. I know when I make other fondant/gum paste decorations I let them dry for a week or two. I am assuming you don't with the string of pearls because you would not be able to pick them up and attach them to a round cake they would break wouldn't they?
Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

Check out Edna's video - but no, you use them right away and they don't break (with a little practice), as long as you have a little gumpaste mixed into your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%