Corner Keep Getting Burned

Baking By kneenah Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm by Tclanton

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

Ive been making cakes for a few weeks now. I use the box cake mix. I butter the pans before i add the batter but when the cake is done, my corners are always burnt. Me personally i like crispy corners but other ppl my not be weird like me and like that... How can i avoid that?

6 replies
birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

Try lowering the temp and baking a bit longer OR try using bake even strips, since they are wet when you put them on they create moisture in the oven. This could help with the drying out on the corners. HTH icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 7

My recipe states to bake at 350, but I bake at 250-275. I also use crisco and flour on my pans before adding the batter, however I dont think this would make any difference at all.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 7

I use cake release. You can find in the recepie section.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I use cake release. You can find in the recepie section.

homemade cake release is equal part of vegetable oil, vegetable shortening, and flour. (you can make as little or as much as you want at once)

Butter isn't usually recommended for baking b/c it can burn when it gets hot, in turn burning what you're baking.

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks illl really look into these tips.. (there are so many little tips i read about everyday i need to start jotting some down :0)

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 7

I felt the same way in the beginning - after you do it so many times if will be like an old habit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%