How To Make Fake Cupcakes?

Lounge By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm by TexasSugar

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter is having an American Girls Valentine's party with her friends this week. They are going to be making things to play with for their dolls, like a necklace, hair clip, and Teddy bear. We were trying to figure out how they can make a cupcake. I have some tiny foil cupcake liners.

I was hoping there is something I can use to mimic frosting, that I can pipe out into the foil liners, that will harden. I don't want to use anything with sugar, such as royal icing, because they will keep these in their bedrooms with their doll accessories (don't want to attract critters) Has to be non-toxic in case one of their younger siblings gets a hold of it and eats it.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

What about some of that kids foam clay? You couldn't pipe with it, but you could roll it into a log and shape it into an icing spiral.

You can use spackle as a 'fake' icing, but I'm not sure about the non toxic part there.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

The clay might work. Too bad it cannot be piped! I think I would have to glue it into the liner though, huh?

I'll probably use glitter for the sprinkles. Since it is a Valentine's Day party, I think I will use the tiny heart plunger cutter to cut out some hearts for the top. (I'll put Saran wrap over the clay so the cutter doesn't actually touch the clay.)

Thanks!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

The girls made the cupcakes for the dolls out of Sculpy Pluffy clay. After baking, the 'frosting' was glittered.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 5

Did they have fun doing it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%