Shipping Cookies In Cold Weather

Baking By love2makecakes Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm by OneCreativeCookie

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, I need to ship some cookies out to my SIL in DC. I plan on using royal icing on the cookies, but am wondering if they are packed individually in cello if they will be okay being cold and then warming up in bags after shipping?

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 13

i sent the same type of cookies in december for the holidays and didn't hear any complaints or concerns about them not tasting good. and these were people that had my cookies fresh before from me too.

love2makecakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 13

I'm actually more concerned with the royal icing getting condensation on it in the bags?? i have heard of people freezing cookies with royal icing but when removing them from freezer and lay them out flat to dry. if they are bagged up, wouldnt the moisture be bad for the royal icing?

love2makecakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 13

maybe i should have worded my topic post differently?

will the royal icing be okay on packaged cookies after freezing and then thawing?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 13

I treat them just like cake: keep them wrapped/in the bag until the condensation is gone.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:15am
post #6 of 13

It will be fine as long as they are kept in the packaging while defrosting. The only real problem with condensatin is when they are allowed to defrost out in the open.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 13

They should be fine. I ship RI iced cookie from MD for KS, MO, MA, and CA all year long without any problems.

love2makecakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the replies! I was so worried they would be ruined! So I will have to let my SIL know to leave them wrapped until they come to room temp. perfect!

sarahkathryncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkathryncakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 13

I live in MI and Im shipping a cookie order to WV. What is the best way to package them so they arrive in one piece? UPS/ Fed X or the post office?
Thank you!

love2makecakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkathryncakes

I live in MI and Im shipping a cookie order to WV. What is the best way to package them so they arrive in one piece? UPS/ Fed X or the post office?
Thank you!

I personally shipped 2 dozen sugar cookies iced in royal icing to from WI to DC. I used USPS Priority Mail. I had cookies in individual bags and wrapped each cookie with bubble wrap. I also lined the box in bubble wrapped. My customer said not a single cookie was broken, dented or smudged.

sarahkathryncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkathryncakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you so much! How did you figure in the cost of shipping and the bubble wrap etc to your order?

love2makecakes Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkathryncakes

Thank you so much! How did you figure in the cost of shipping and the bubble wrap etc to your order?

You can try and figure out what you think all the cookies will weigh and do an estimate on the USPS website. For me 2 dozen weighed a little over 4lbs and 3 dozen I did weighed over 6lbs. All my cookies were about 3" and 1/4" thick.

Another way to make it easier is to figure out if your cookies will fit in a flat rate box and then you will know for sure what to charge. You can add any handling fees you choose for the trouble of boxing, wrapping and making a trip to the post office.

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 13

Some tips about USPS...

If you are planning to use USPS and have a printer, I would highly recommend using the online "click-n-ship" feature at USPS. The rate you get it less than if you walk up to the counter at a PO, you get free delivery confirmation and...best part...they will pick up at your door for free! I usually put my labeled boxes in a bag and hang them from the front of my mailbox, because you need to be prepared a day in advance if you want to "schedule" pick-up. Saves me the trip to the PO and cost on shipping. If you ship Priority Mail, they will send you boxes to use free of charge. In this way, your only additional costs to ship (apart from the actual postage) are tape, one piece of paper/ink, bubble wrap and your time to package.

Note that delivery times for USPS are not guaranteed. You have more recourse with UPS if the delivery is delayed, but for me, I can charge less to ship USPS and my clients build in an extra day for transit time.

I also shipped from VA to FL over New Year's with no complaints (in fact, just compliments!) icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%