Disco Dust Edible? Safe To Use For Kids?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm by lostbaker

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 19

I am reading conflicting things on disco dust (on the net and forums), which I am thinking about using, but never have before. Want to make some glittery initials for kid's cookies, but if they are not edible, then not going there. I know they are non-toxic, does that mean edible too? I read somewhere that just because something is non-toxic doesn't necessarily make it edible.

Can anyone tell me if they know if disco dust is considered edible?

Thank you!
Diane

diane

18 replies
cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 19

I've noticed that before too. It says "non-toxic" so i suppose that means you can eat it without it hurting you. I've put it on gumpaste letters to make them sparkly and my kids ate them. I don't think they are what you would consider "edible" though. It does not disolve in you mouth....so what does that tell you? On the upside, the kids didn't care and just loved the sparkles. It's not like the quantity they had was a huge amount.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 19

I read somewhere that the glitter was actually plastic, so that had me worrying. I always worry more when it's for kids.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 19

*Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such. (http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_696/Disco-Dust.htm)

They are classified as "non-toxic for decoration only" so they may be best suited to decorate items that can easily be removed from the cake. (http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?ShopId=46&CatId=624&SubCatId=1581)

Use on non-edible decorations. Non-toxic. (This came from another website, but I can't post the link on here.)

Non-toxic means that they shouldn't hurt you, but aren't really meant for eating. Think Elmers glue.

I've read on CC before that they are finely ground plastic and are non-edible.

Personally the only thing I have used disco dust on, was something that wasn't going to be eaten. I know there will be people that will come along and say they do it all the time. So you'll have to make the choice of what is better for you and the people eating your cakes.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 19

Oops...I just covered some cake i did in disco dust. What about the "Snow Sparkle?" I have covered cakes in that too. Very popular for girl birthdays! I can just imagine having glitter-poop! What else could happen? I mean, if it is plastic? Would it have a build-up effect? Jeez, why sell stuff for cake that isn't edible?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Oops...I just covered some cake i did in disco dust. What about the "Snow Sparkle?" I have covered cakes in that too. Very popular for girl birthdays! I can just imagine having glitter-poop! What else could happen? I mean, if it is plastic? Would it have a build-up effect? Jeez, why sell stuff for cake that isn't edible?

If it's disco dust called Snow Sparkle, then it's not edible but is non-toxic. It's small grain plastic craft glitter.

It shouldn't be a problem with a single use, but no one that I know of advocates frequent ingestion of plastic.

Small, particulate matter (like raspberry seeds, etc.) can be a problem for people with digestive issues like diverticulitis, diverticulosis, Crohn's disease, IBS, etc., as the particles can further irritate the lining of the bowel.

You can read a disclaimer about the use of these products here (remove the dashes I've typed into the website addy):

You're right--there's a ton of bad info about disco dust. They were marketed to cake decorators without being "checked out" for edibility and it's led to a lot of confusion. I'm a strong advocate for getting the word out that THEY ARE PLASTIC!!!!.

Rae

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 19

Well that is just awful - I just purchased two containers of the stuff. I will limit my use immediately.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 19

My daughter recently at a large "2" out of fondant from her birthday cake when I wasn't looking and it was covered in disco dust. I've mostly just used the dusts on the parts that don't normally get eaten. I wasn't concerned though because if it's non-toxic, it's kinda like if she licks her finger after working with glue in an art project or eats some playdough.

The next day, she had sparkly poop. icon_biggrin.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:

Whoops, I've covered a whole cake in it, too...but glitter poop made me laugh!

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #10 of 19

I tried to look up that link, with out the dashes, and I couldn't make it work. Could someone please PM me the link, or make it a little simpler for us dullards? lol

I just remembered that my daughter told me she ate the gumpaste decoration off the front of the cake. I had it CAKED with glitter. See photo. I am a little tense about it. Should I worry, should I not worry? I just spent $20 on disco dust, I could kill someone for maketing it as "edible". I am pissed! It never occured to me that it was not edible! A$$holes!

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:17am
post #11 of 19

and then add

I can't do it any other way because the website is blocked from CC due to legal issues.

Suffice it to say that it says what I've been saying throughout the thread.

Rae

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:42am
post #12 of 19

Thanks. That is where I got them, I llive 40 miles from there, so i go in as often as I can. Check out this pic. http://********************

They say non-edible, for decorative purposes, and they put a picture of a cupcake on there thaat is covered in it! lol.

So, is there harm? I know it is not good for you, but is it bad? I am worried about my little pee-pot. She already has bladder troubles, has anything happened to anyone who ate a ton of this stuff?

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 19

I bought some disco dust at my local cake supply store. They told me to use it on gumpaste only, because people don't eat gumpaste and should not eat the disco dust either.

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 19

The figure on the front was gumpaste. She is weird. She is a carnivore, she will eat any meat you put in front of her, she HATES all vegetables except corn, and HATES ALL fruit. She will eat grains, but not biscuits, mostly rice, but will eat gumpaste. YUCK! I'd rather eat carrots all day long than gumpaste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:

So, is there harm? I know it is not good for you, but is it bad? I am worried about my little pee-pot. She already has bladder troubles, has anything happened to anyone who ate a ton of this stuff?

It is a non-toxic item, which means while it shouldn't hurt you, you aren't actually meant to eat it.

Will eating it once hurt you? Probably not. Will eating it over and over effect you in some sort of negetive way? Maybe, maybe they aren't sure, other wise it would be called edible.

I compaired it to glue earlier. Elmers glue is non toxic. It is that way so it shouldn't hurt a kid if they do lick their fingers or what ever. But I wouldn't sit there and give my child a spoon and the bottle and tell them to have at it.

If it is in fact ground up glitter/plastic, then I would consider this... Would you walk into the craft section of a store, buy glitter and put it on a cake? Thats what this would be, expect its marketed to cake people and sold with a non-toxic label, which I think can be misleading.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:10pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If it is in fact ground up glitter/plastic, then I would consider this... Would you walk into the craft section of a store, buy glitter and put it on a cake? Thats what this would be, expect its marketed to cake people and sold with a non-toxic label, which I think can be misleading.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Exactly!

When I found out that this stuff was fine particle craft glitter, I questioned why I was paying so much $$$ for the tiny pots of it. I went on Ebay and found it in bulk and realized that I was most likely paying for the re-packaging of it and the "cache" of it supposedly being a cake deco product.

I've never used it on edibles, so I don't care about my source--as long as the product is labeled non-toxic.

One day, I was in Michael's and found 4 pot packages of color coordinated craft glitter for $1/pkg., clearly marked with the ACMI non-toxic safety seal. BINGO! I got 16 pots of "disco dust" for $4 !!!!!!

Rae

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Exactly!

When I found out that this stuff was fine particle craft glitter, I questioned why I was paying so much $$$ for the tiny pots of it. I went on Ebay and found it in bulk and realized that I was most likely paying for the re-packaging of it and the "cache" of it supposedly being a cake deco product.

I've never used it on edibles, so I don't care about my source--as long as the product is labeled non-toxic.

One day, I was in Michael's and found 4 pot packages of color coordinated craft glitter for $1/pkg., clearly marked with the ACMI non-toxic safety seal. BINGO! I got 16 pots of "disco dust" for $4 !!!!!!

Rae

Arg - I am so angry!!! I paid a good bit for mine!!!

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Hey.. homemade edible glitter would be awesome since I can't buy it here, but the book doesn't open for me. Could you post it here, or maybe PM it to me please???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%