Cake Magazine

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 4:14am by icer101

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi there, can anyone recommend a good cake magazine to subscribe to?

11 replies
cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 12

I can tell you what NOT to get....
American cake Decorator Magazine icon_sad.gif
I Paid for the subscription.... Received the first issue @ 7 months later.....
Incredibly rude email response when in sent them an email asking when my magazine would arrive.... When I actually received my magazine... It was at least two months late......

From what I've been reading here, and on facebook, It sounds like Cake Central is very similar in their business practices... ( sorry... Very harsh, I know, sad, but true)

I've heard great reviews about "Wedding cakes, a Design source" ( I think that's the name)
Given the recent problems surrounding the magazine distribution from Cake Central....I'm sure there will be many responses to your question!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 12

2 British magazines are really good. You can buy them at JoAnn's Fabric or you can subscribe. Lots of really good tutorials. I'll try to write the names of the magazines but for same reason the names are usually deleted in posts on here. I will add a few &&&& in the name and see if it gets by. Cakes &&&&& Sugarcraft and Cake Craft &&&& Decoration. If it doesn't go through I can PM the magazine names to you if you want.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 12

I didn't subscribe to Cake Central magazine because I love digital everything (buy most of my books and magazines digital) and I have enough paper surrounding me, since I work for a magazine.

I was very excited when they started selling the digital versions and got them as soon as I saw them (shop tab) and they're beautiful. I'm very excited about having them, finally. If you click on the magazine picture, a list of what's inside appears.

I can say that I highly recommend it, if you're OK with a digital version.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

I've heard great reviews about "Wedding cakes, a Design source" ( I think that's the name)

I recently purchased a single issue of this magazine from Global Sugar Art and I love it! I don't do many wedding cakes (I'm a hobbyist) but the inspirations are still incredible. I've culled ideas from it for the last 2 cakes I've done and a competition cake I'm working on. It was definitely a good addition to my cake decorating books. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 12

I just received a notice that said my subscription to CC magazine was mailed hopefully in a few months I can say "CC magazine"
Definitely not American Cake Decorators, I had the same experience that cdgleason (earlier post) had.
I also have heard good things about the British magazine. I wish I knew why they all are so expensive. My $ isn't going very far these days!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 12

As matter of fact, I bought Cakes & Sugarcraft($11.69)and Cake craft & decoration($8.99) last night at Joann's. The high price is the shipping. The cover price for C&S is 4.99 pounds or about $7.50 and
C C & D is 3.50 pounds or about $5.25. They really do have great tutorials and all the recipes are in metric and for us Americans in lbs. These magazines are what I was hoping Cake Central Magazine would be.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 12

Ellie1985 good info. I will be checking out Joans icon_smile.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

As matter of fact, I bought Cakes & Sugarcraft($11.69)and Cake craft & decoration($8.99) last night at Joann's. The high price is the shipping. The cover price for C&S is 4.99 pounds or about $7.50 and
C C & D is 3.50 pounds or about $5.25. They really do have great tutorials and all the recipes are in metric and for us Americans in lbs. These magazines are what I was hoping Cake Central Magazine would be.

Joann's the fabric store? WTH I go there all the time and never noticed. I'll have to pay closer attention. Thanks

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 12

You can find all of the above on Amazon.....plus tons of other books on sugar crafts.

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

I also have heard good things about the British magazine. I wish I knew why they all are so expensive.

I buy Cake on the newsstand every month (the other mag is available sporadically). I find it's actually cheaper to shop in person (tax and all) than to buy a subscription in sterling and have it mailed to me. and this way it gets me over to the bookstore once a month.

And watching people read/admire over my shoulder in the metro -- priceless! icon_rolleyes.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:14am
post #12 of 12

I agree. definetly not, american cake decorating. It is horrible. Use to be great. Canceled my subscription, and don,t regret it . Got it for 15 yrs. Had to beg for it the last year. Never again, British ones are the way to go, great decorators, great tutorials. I buy c/c from gsa. comes in 2 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%