Need Help With Doweling

Decorating By Lynn929 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm by janeoxo

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 13

Can you tell me how many dowels would you suggest in a 16 inch round cake with a 10 in round above?

12 replies
janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 13

The important thing is not to over dowel as this just puts more holes in the cake thus making it unstable.

Personally I would only use 4 as it is only 10 inches and there is nothing above it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 13

I only use 4 dowels per tier even on a 14, 12, 10. 8, 6 inch. They handled the weight (in part because I use Tuffboards under each tier rather than cardboard) but my concern is shifting so I'm starting to use the Wilton plates for the SPS. Not only does using more than 4 dowels weaken the cake but makes less cake that can be served.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #4 of 13

here's another vote for 4

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #5 of 13

Do you need to add a dowel through both tiers? or is it not necessary.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:38am
post #6 of 13

Rainyvv...I don't think you need a dowel through just two tiers. I haven't used a center dowel through all layers but it's more because my tier plates are so solid that I'm not sure I could get dowel to go through them without massive damage. I've transported my completed fondant covered three tier cakes with no problem.

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:43am
post #7 of 13

Thanks Sharon. Doing my first 2 tieres next week and transporting it. 1 less thing to worry about.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:55am
post #8 of 13

Ummm . . . there are no "Wilton plates for SPS." SPS is a system and you really should use SPS plates and SPS legs together.

janeoxo Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:24am
post #9 of 13

I'm sure SPS is wonderful but I have never found anyone who sells it in the UK!

iannelli66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iannelli66 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:09am
post #10 of 13

Hi allicon_smile.gif
This is more of a question then an answer, but its on the same topic.. Hope thats ok.. I have a cake for delivery tomorrow...I just stacked it, 3 tiers, wooden dowed .. 5 in bottom , three in middle.. I noticed some settling at the bottom layer (covered in fondant). Is this normal? Not sure what I can do at this point..
a little stressed to say the least.

janeoxo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iannelli66

Hi allicon_smile.gif
This is more of a question then an answer, but its on the same topic.. Hope thats ok.. I have a cake for delivery tomorrow...I just stacked it, 3 tiers, wooden dowed .. 5 in bottom , three in middle.. I noticed some settling at the bottom layer (covered in fondant). Is this normal? Not sure what I can do at this point..
a little stressed to say the least.

No this should not be happening. Were all the dowels the same length?
Were they just a fraction taller than the bottom tier so the cake is sitting on the dowels and not at all on that bottom tier?

iannelli66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iannelli66 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you for the response.. I actually didnt make them a little taller...that would make sense.. Thank you , Thank you..

janeoxo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 13

Glad to help,hope it works out ok

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%