Anyone Have Experience With The 3D Duck Pan?

Lounge By yamber82 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm by Rachie204

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

i'm kind of nervous about doing it. it just seems like it would fall apart?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 7

It won't fall apart but sometimes the neck breaks.I like to bake those cakes each half instead of trying to do the whole thing 3D standing..What tends to happen it the cake doesn't rise enough to fill out the fron/back of the pan and it ends up looking distorted.If you bake each half seperatly and then glue togther with icing and a few wooden skewers to hold it together then it works.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

ok how do i use the wooden skewers to hold it together? and should i use pound cake?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 7

A pound cake would be better .Once you glue the 2 halves together insert wooden skewers on both sides diagonally to criss cross each other.It will help hold both sides together..You only need about 2 so don't go crazy.Then crumbcoat and refridgerate the cake over night so it is good and firm.Cold cake is a decoraters best friend.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 7

I used it once. Used just a regular cake mix. It filled out the pan fine. The only reason I put a dowel rod in the neck was because it was traveling over 45 mins away by the client. Although I wasn't foolish enough to think that worst-comes-to-worst that the cake wouldn't slide right thru the rod in a catastrophe.

but it made it just fine!

Told the client, "When you're ready to cut it, just whack the head off, then cut the duck in half .... start slicing!" icon_lol.gif She told me later she had people fighting over who got to whack the head off!!!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

I've used it several times and haven't had any problems with it. Have fun with it.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 7

I have used it and I agree that the neck can be a little sensitive and also the back side doesn't cook up as much so it will look slightly lopsided. You could barley tell on mine..but of course "I" could tell. Also even after I trimmed the bottom even my ducks (i made 2) swayed back and forth on the cake board. I highly recommend either cutting more off the bottom which will give you a short duck or dowel that sucked into a thick cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%