Bc Flavor Help With Tiramasu Cake

Baking By Dee814 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm by Sangriacupcake

Dee814 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee814 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all!!

Just finished Wilton Course 1 and loving it. I've been baking for years but really am enjoying getting in to more, especially buttercream!

my father's birthday is coming up in February and I wanted to attempt a special cake for him. He really loves tiramasu and I found the tiramasu cake recipe on this site but I wanted to use indydebs crusting bc recipe.
I am planning on using the cake recipe with the instant coffee grounds and the coffee flavored liquor brushed on the layers. Finding the mascarpone cheeese for the filling has been a challenge on its own.
Do you think bc would taste okay in vanilla flavor with the tiramasu cake? or should I try something else?

Thanks for any advice!!!

6 replies
Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 7

Dee, the tiramasu recipe u r tailing about is delish!! I substituted the mascarpone with cream cheese butter cream and it was wonderful! I basically took indydebi's bc recipe and subbed half the crisco with cream cheese. It tasted great and crusted just fine

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 7

I would use add a little instant coffee with a little alcohol (kaluha etc) for flavour to the icing, I would not use a plain vanilla icing.

Dee814 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee814 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks ya'll!!!

Good tip on the cream cheese bc. that had crossed my mind but i didn't know if it would be too much for the cake.

Yum2010- so do I reduce the crisco by 1/2 a cup and then put in 1/2 a cup cream cheese? or just add a whole bar?

Yum2010 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, I was a little unclear. I put 1 oz block of cream cheese and one cup of crisco. And followed the rest of the recipe as is. U do end up with a little more than the recipe calls for but I just added a little more powdered sugar or milk if my consistency was off

Yum2010 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 7

sorry not a 1 oz block a 8 oz block! Hope that helps!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 7

I always use Edna's crusting cream cheese icing for my tiramisu cake...it has some butter in it and tastes soooo good. For this kind of cake I add some double strength brewed coffee to make it more "tiramisu-like." It's a winner....everybody loves this cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%